Chapter 1

Before...

When you first met him you were 12... well by 'met him' you mean spotting him watching you from the front porch of his house while you helped your mother and her boyfriend unload the last of the boxes and suitcases, into the house next door.

You and your mother had just moved into the neighbourhood to live with her boyfriend and if you were being honest, you couldn't think of anything worse. That man hated you with a passion. Always glaring at you and yelling at you to get him another beer or to get out of his way. He was nothing like your real father. Your father was the most kind-hearted man you knew, he always had a smile on his face, helped you with your homework, comforted you when you were sad and treated your mother like a queen. He bought out the best in both of you, but after he passed away your mother had changed. She still loved you, that would never change, but she wasn't the same and started wasting money on alcohol and began hooking up with whoever she managed to drag home from the bar that night.

You were used to it though. Waking up in the mornings to go to school to find your mother and a man you had never met before passed out on the couch, empty beer bottles and cigarette butts covering the floor. But after a while you began to find the same guy on the couch with her. He was always at the house and after a few years once you moved into his house, you began to realise your mother was in a very toxic relationship. He controlled her and she did whatever he wanted, but she couldn't leave him, she didn't want to. She needed him, you both needed him otherwise you would end up on the streets. He had money and you guys had nothing and he made damn sure you both knew that. Your mother couldn't afford to keep the house, all her money spent on alcohol and other useless items. So, you didn't argue when she told you to pack your things, glad that you didn't have to live on the streets, but it came at a cost. A pretty big cost.

Her boyfriend, Frank, wasn't the friendliest man. When he got angry, which was pretty often, he would get violent and you always copped the brunt of his anger. It just started off with him yelling at you and throwing things against walls, but after a few months it became physical. You were only 12, you weren't strong enough to protect yourself from him and your mother never stepped in to help whenever he'd start beating you, but you were glad she didn't because if she did then he would do it to her too.

Moving into a new neighbourhood meant moving to a new school, it was only a 20-minute walk down the road from Frank's house. But you hated school, none of the other kids wanted to talk to the weird new girl, but you didn't care. You enjoyed being alone, it was better that way, but you noticed one other kid who seemed to be a bit of a loner like you. Daryl. He would sit at the very back of the class rooms and only spoke when the teacher asked him a question. During lunches he would sit with a few other misfits from class, but he never seemed to join their conversations. A few days later while you walked home from school you realised he was the same boy you had seen earlier that week watching you when you first moved into the house next door.

It wasn't until nearly a year later that the two of you actually spoke for the first time. It happened while you were walking across the road by the traffic lights.

You were waiting for the little green flashing light to appear, so you could cross the road, when Daryl appeared. You both usually met at that crossing, leaving for school at the same time. You gave him a nod as he approached and he nodded in return before you turned back to the road, just as the light turned green.

You began crossing the road, not even thinking to check for cars since your light was green, but Daryl obviously checked because not a second later you heard him shout your name. Suddenly he grabbed the strap of your backpack, pulling you out the way as a familiar red truck sped past you, missing you with only centimetres to spare.