Chapter 11

"There ain't nothin' out here but mosquitoes and ants." Daryl stated as he looked around the leafy grounds of the woods. You and Daryl had your backs turned to Merle as he took a piss by a tree, you had your crossbow in your hands and your new rifle slung over your shoulders as you scanned the woods looking for any signs of danger.

"Patience, little brother. Sooner or later, a squirrel is bound to scurry across your path." Merle's voice responded and you rolled your eyes.

"Even so, that ain't much food for the three of us." Daryl muttered, glancing across at you making sure you were okay before continuing. "We'd have better luck goin' through one of 'em houses we passed back on the turnoff."

"Is that what your new friends taught ya? Hmm? How to loot for booty?" Merle questioned, walking back over to you two and you could tell Daryl was trying to keep his expression blank, but you knew he was getting annoyed.

"We've been at it for hours. Why don't we find a stream, try to look for some fish?" You suggested, turning around to face the brothers and Daryl nodded with agreement.

"I think you're just trying to lead me back to the road. Get me over to that prison." Merle replied, crouching down as he grabbed a few leaves fiddling them and Daryl sighed leaning against the tree behind him.

"They got shelter. Food. A pot to piss in. Might not be a bad idea." Daryl suddenly said, catching you by surprise since the conversation you had this morning when he said you weren't going back.

"For you guys, maybe. Ain't gonna be no damn party for me." Merle responded, standing back up as he looked over at his younger brother.

"Everyone will get used to each other." You simply replied, looking over at Merle who shook his head.

"They're all dead. Makes no difference." Merle muttered, but you shook your head. The Governor couldn't take the prison from Rick and the others, they would have the permitter locked down and guards 24/7.

"How can ya be so sure?" Daryl asked, trying to keep his tone neutral, but you could tell he was worried.

"Right about now he's probably hosting a housewarming party where's he gonna bury what's left of your pals. Let's hook some fish. Come on." Merle said walking past the two of you as you stared him. He wasn't being serious was he? You looked over at Daryl who was matching your expression, but neither of you said anything as you followed behind Merle.

You guys walked for nearly an hour before the brothers began arguing about which direction you had been walking. Merle seemed to think you guys had been walking west, but you agreed with Daryl when he said you guys were walking south. You didn't even head west at all, if anything you had been walking south-east, but you weren't about to get in the middle of one of their arguments.

"What do you want to bet?" Merle asked, looking over his shoulder at Daryl as the two of you walked through the woods behind him, your crossbows in your hand.

"I don't want to bet nothin'. It's just a body of water. Why's everything gotta be a competition with ya?" Daryl muttered, stepping over a fallen branch on the ground before turning to make sure you climbed over it okay.

"Whoa, whoa. Take it easy, little brother. Just trying to have a little fun here. No need to get your panties all in a bundle." Merle replied with a grin, obviously getting the reaction he wanted out of Daryl.

"Ya hear that?" Daryl questioned, ignoring what his brother said completely and suddenly you could hear it. It was a baby crying. Why is there a baby out here?

"It's a baby." You responded in complete shock.

"Why don't ya just piss in my ear and tell me it's raining too? That there's the sound of a couple coons making love, sweet love. Know what I mean?" Merle replied, but you weren't listening to him anymore as you walked down towards the creek where the noise seemed to be coming from when you spotted a few people on a bridge trying to fight off a group of walkers. There was no way they would be able to kill them all alone.