Chapter 12

"Field's filled with walkers." Rick's voice suddenly shouted from downstairs in the cellblock while you and Daryl sat side by side in your cell.

"Stay here, I'll be back." Daryl said softly brushing a strand of your hair out of your face and you nodded looking over at him as he placed a gentle kiss against your lips before he got up and walked out the cell. No doubt going to talk to Rick about what the next move was.

Daryl was only gone for a few minutes before you heard him climb up the metal stairs and two seconds later he walked into the cell, but by the expression on his face you knew something wasn't right.

"What's wrong?" You quickly questioned, standing up from the bed as you reached his side in an instant, but he shook his head.

"Nothin', just some of 'em don't want Merle here." Daryl muttered and you nodded. You didn't expect everyone to just welcome the older Dixon into the group, not after what he did, but he wasn't leaving so they were gonna have to get used to it.

"After what Merle did it's gonna take some time for everyone to get used to him living here." You replied and Daryl sighed rubbing his face with his hands as he walked over to the bed and laid down on his back, tucking his arm under his head as he stared up at you in defeat.

"What if they don't get used to it?" He questioned and you could tell Daryl was really worried about this. It was his brother and after losing him once, he didn't want to lose him again, you understood that.

"Merle is Merle. He isn't the same man I remember from next door, but he's still Merle." You began to say as you gingerly sat down on the edge of the bed as Daryl rested his arm over your thighs, looking up at you. "It doesn't matter if the others ever get used to him being here or not because he is staying. I'm not letting either of you leave again, alright?" You asked and Daryl nodded giving you a soft smile.

The two of you sat there for a few minutes before Carol knocked against the door frame catching both your attention as you gave her a smile.

"I'll let you guys catch up." You said, realising the two of them probably wanted some privacy as you stood up, grabbing your crossbow and began walking out the cell before Carol grabbed your arm.

"Thank you for coming back." She said softly and you nodded giving her a smile before you walked out the cell. You weren't sure where or what you were gonna do, so you just made your way down the stairs in the cellblock, spotting Rick talking Glenn.

"Hey, Y/N?" Rick called spotting you walking down the stairs as he began walking over to you.

"What's up?" You asked stopping at the bottom of the stairs beside him as you slung your crossbow over your shoulder.

"What you did for me... For my daughter..." Rick began to say, trailing off as he looked down at the floor clearly not knowing how to word what he wanted to say, but you knew what he was meaning.

"You guys are like family to me now, it's what we do." You replied with a gentle smile as Rick looked up at you with kind eyes.

"Daryl said the same thing." Rick said meeting your eyes with a chuckle. Of course Daryl did, he was loyal to his family and friends, even before this, you could always rely on him no matter what. He was loyal and did everything in his power to protect and help the ones he loves.

"Dad! Andrea is in the field, walking towards the prison." Carl suddenly shouted as you both quickly turned around to find the young boy running into the cellblock.

"Andrea?" Rick questioned wanting to make sure he heard him correctly and Carl nodded.

"We have to make sure she's alone." You suddenly said pulling your crossbow off your shoulder as Daryl and Carol came rushing down the stairs after hearing what the younger Grimes said.