Chapter 15

He had no idea how long he spent aimlessly walking around the dark hallways of the prison, but by the time he eventually made his way back into the cellblock everyone had gone to sleep in their cells. He must have been gone for at least a few hours, but he didn't care. He knew he probably looked like shit, his eyes were no doubt red and bloodshot from all his tears earlier, but everyone was asleep now so it didn't matter.

He glanced upstairs towards the cell he shared with you and figured you had gone to sleep since he couldn't see any candle lights shinning in the cell.

Not wanting to wake you up, he made his way towards the other door that lead to the kitchen type area next to the cellblocks. He wasn't sure what he was gonna do, but he didn't want to sit around and do nothing. If he didn't keep his mind busy, his thoughts would just drift to Merle and he had cried enough today to last him a lifetime.

"Daryl, you okay?" Somebody suddenly questioned to his right, but he didn't need to turn around to know that the voice belonged to Rick. It was a stupid question, of course he wasn't okay, he just lost his brother. But as Daryl looked over in Rick's direction, spotting him sitting on one of the tables he realised Rick was lost for words. He always knew what to say and when to say it, but right now Rick seemed almost helpless as he stared at his best friend wishing he could help.

Rick knew exactly what it was like to lose someone you love, but he still didn't know what to say to try make them feel better.

"Why are ya still awake?" Daryl questioned, not bothering to answer Rick's question as he cleared his throat trying to make his voice sound less hoarse as he looked over at Rick.

"I was debating whether to go outside and try convince Y/N to come back. It's probably like two in the morning by now. She shouldn't be out there on her own after what just happened. Hell, I didn't want to let you wander around the prison by yourself after what just happened, but I figured you wanted some space." Rick responded and Daryl nodded, giving Rick an unspoken thank you, before it suddenly clicked in his head what Rick just said about you and how you were outside.

"Wait, I thought Y/N was in bed. Where is she?" Daryl quickly questioned, glancing over at the door that led to the cellblock before turning back to Rick who sighed, rubbing his face with his hands.

"She's in the guard tower. I've tried to get her to come back inside the prison, but she won't listen and I'm pretty sure if I try talk to her again she'll kill me." Rick responded and Daryl nodded with a sigh. Yep, that sounded like Y/N. Why would she want to stay in the guard tower all night? Daryl thought to himself, but he figured it was the same reason he wandered around the hallways of the prison for hours. She wanted to keep herself busy and her mind focused on something other than Merle, she probably wanted some space and not be around anyone, which he understood completely. But it's probably been over seven hours since the two of you got back to the prison and he didn't like the thought of her being outside by herself, especially with the Governor still out there.

"I'll go try convince her to come back, she might listen to me." Daryl said after a few minutes of silence as he began walking towards the door that lead to the courtyard.

"I can try talk to her again, you should just rest." Rick suddenly called, standing up from the table as Daryl turned around shaking his head.

"Nah, I shouldn't have left her alone to begin with." He replied, looking over at Rick who nodded in understanding before Daryl made his way outside. He had no idea what to say to her, just the thought of talking about Merle right now made him want to cry, but he doubted he had any tears left to cry after the past couple of hours.

-

You had cried for hours, but now there was nothing left inside of you but the raw emptiness you felt in your heart as you sat on the platform of the watch tower, leaning against the wall. You had no idea what time it was, but it didn't really matter, it wasn't like you were going to sleep any time soon anyway.