Chapter 4

The next morning you woke up as the sun was beginning to rise. You noticed a few others were awake sitting around the smoky ashes of what used to be the camp fire. Daryl was still asleep behind you, so you didn't move, not wanting to wake him as you gave Hershel and Glenn a smile once they realised you were awake.

Another ten or so minutes passed before everyone else began to wake up and an hour later you, Daryl, Rick, Glenn, Maggie and T-Dog were all standing by the gate that separated the field from the prison courtyard preparing to take down all the walkers inside.

"Ready?" Hershel asked and you all nodded as Rick pulled the gate open and you all rushed in, back to back as Hershel shut the gate behind you.

"Daryl!" Rick called as a walker came up from the left and Daryl quickly stabbed his knife into its head before you all continued making your way further into the yard around the prison. Taking down the walkers as they stumbled towards you.

You stood between Daryl and T-Dog, gripping your hunting knife tightly as you stabbed the walker a few metres away before you moved back into the defence circle you guys had made.

"Don't break the formation!" Rick shouted causing you to glance at the group to work out who he was yelling at when you spotted T-Dog running towards some sort of police shield.

"We need it!" T-Dog yelled over his shoulder as he grabbed the shield and quickly got back to the rest of you as you continued to slowly make your way through the yard, taking down walker after walker.

You all made your way towards a door and Rick opened it making sure there were no walkers in there before he took a few steps passed the door before he quickly came back, pressing his back against the wall.

"Shit." He hissed, motioning for all of you to stay back hidden behind the wall, you couldn't see what he was looking at, but suddenly you spotted a few walkers walking around the corner, wearing police protective equipment and head gear that covered their whole face. Shit, they're gonna be hard to kill.

Daryl quickly pulled his crossbow up and fired off a bolt at one of their heads but it just bounced back off the protective mask, not even making a scratch. You glanced over at Daryl who had a slight panicked look on his face before you glanced at the others who were starting to take on the walkers in the uniform when you spotted another gate in the distance that needed to be shut before more walkers came into the yard. But before you could do anything a walker burst through the door right besides you, knocking you to the ground, giving you no time get back up before it fell down on top of you, knocking your knife out your hand.

"God damnit." You muttered through clenched teeth as you tried to pull one of your crossbow bolts out from your bow besides you. The walkers jaw snapping behind the protective mask and suddenly you were glad it had the mask on since it couldn't bite you, but that didn't stop its hands trying to claw your face as you tried to hold it back.

"Y/N!" Daryl shouted in the distance before Rick suddenly called for Daryl desperately and you knew Rick needed help.

"I got this. Help Rick!" You shouted back, not bothering to try look at Daryl as you glanced down at your crossbow next to you, finally getting the bolt free and you quickly stabbed it up through the walkers jaw, piercing its brain from the bottom as it dropped dead on top of you.

You pushed the walker off onto the ground besides you as you stood up just in time to see Daryl and Rick closing the other gate, cutting off more walkers from entering the area you had just cleared. You quickly grabbed your bow, slinging it back over your shoulder before you grabbed your knife and rushed off towards Glenn, Maggie and T-Dog who were trying to take down the other walkers in uniform.