Chapter 14

Eventually you and Daryl reached the prison as you slowed the motorcycle down. Although the sun was slowly setting behind you somewhere, you could still spot Rick and Carl already opening the gate for the two of you as you rode towards them. You saw the slight confusion etched on Rick's face when he realised you were riding the bike and not Daryl as you rode past them.

You slowed the bike down parking it near the other vehicles before killing the engine and looking down at your feet as you felt tears rising in your eyes again. You had spent the past couple of hours forcing your tears away, but now being back at the prison you were back to square one as you thought of Merle. But you were quickly taken away from your painful thoughts when you heard Rick call out to the two of you.

"What happened? Where's Merle?' Rick questioned and you glanced over your shoulder spotting him and Carl jogging over to the two of you. Rick quickly slowed his pace when he saw the tears in your eyes and you knew he figured out what happened as he dropped his head.

You felt Daryl climb off the bike and you looked over your shoulder as he yanked his crossbow off the back of the motorcycle in frustration, knocking yours to ground as he did so before he began walking towards the prison.

"Daryl, wait!" You shouted, quickly climbing off the motorcycle as you jogged the few metres towards him grabbing his shoulder to get him to stop.

"Leave me be!" Daryl shouted in an angry yet broken voice as he threw his arm back, knocking you to the ground as he tried to get your hand off of him. You landed on your side hard, but all you were focused on was Daryl who quickly glanced over his shoulder at you. A flash of guilt and regret flashing over his eyes as he saw you on the ground before he turned around and marched off towards the prison.

"Daryl!" You called, your voice breaking at the end as you tried to sit yourself up not even caring anymore as tears began spilling from your eyes. Suddenly Rick was kneeling in front of you. His worried eyes staring at you for a few seconds before he pulled you into a hug.

And that was it, you were unable to hold it back anymore as you cried into his shoulder and he let you, holding you as you let your pain and sadness out. You could feel your body shaking as Rick held you tightly, knowing exactly how you were feeling in that moment after losing his wife only a few weeks earlier.

"Carl, go back inside." Rick instructed, glancing over at the young boy who stared at the two of you, clearly having worked out why you were crying. He stood there not knowing how to help before he nodded and ran back towards the prison.

You were glad Rick told his son to leave, you didn't want the boy to see you cry, hell you didn't want Rick to see you cry. You didn't want to seem weak, but honestly right then you didn't care. After a few minutes you slowly pulled away from Rick, wiping your watery eyes as he helped you to your feet.

"I'm so sorry, Y/N." Rick said softly and even though he didn't like Merle, he sounded sincere and you knew he meant it as you nodded, not trusting your voice at the moment.

"Look, I know you won't want to talk about it, but I need to know what happened and what the Governor is gonna do next." Rick stated and you sighed glancing over at the other man who gave you a sympathetic look. You nodded before telling him everything that happened, knowing full well that if he asked Daryl, he wouldn't be able to talk about it.

"The Governor would be planning his next attack on the prison as we speak." Rick finally said after taking in everything you just told him and you nodded in agreement even though that was the furthest thing on your mind right then.

"Come on, let's go inside." Rick said gently motioning towards the prison and you reluctantly nodded as you grabbed your crossbow from the ground before following the man towards the building. You weren't ready to face everyone yet, but you wanted to find Daryl. He had never showed that kind of physical anger towards you, but you knew he didn't mean it.