Chapter 2: Stealing Beyoncé's Ride

It is so freaking cold!

That was my first thought as soon as I stepped on and off the airplane.

What? It was my first time on a plane so I did what Google told me to do aka: bring a blanket, find my seat, buckle up, take as many snacks offered to me, avoid the bathroom if I can and enjoy the ride.

Thank God I had brought my favourite book, Me Before You, Yo antes de ti, and my iPod. Because it was indeed a long, six hour ride. Between the man who snored loud enough to awaken a hibernating bear and a child kicking my seat every five minutes, I couldn't wait to get out.

Approaching the gates to my potential destiny was nerve-wracking...but I made it all the way here and there was literally no going back.

At least not until CNCA made their decision to accept or reject me.

The school arranged for a driver to pick me up from the airport and take me to campus. Again, I felt the same nervous energy I had on the plane.

Breathe. You got this.

I did not got this. 

Toronto Pearson International Airport was as equally a maze as El Dorado airport. It's honestly a miracle that I still managed to claim my suitcase and find my way to the arrival gates thanks to the staff's help.

A tall man in a suit and driver's cap was waiting for me near the gate. I knew this because he held a sign with my name on it. I took a deep breath and made my way towards him.

"Hello! I'm Carolina Alvares," I said introducing myself.

"Good evening Miss Alvares. I am Brian Baker and I will be your driver today," he responded with a smile. "May I carry your luggage?"

"Thanks Brian, but I can carry-"

"Miss Alvares, I insist."

I shrugged and handed over my suitcase.

"So...Brian, how far away are we from campus?"

"It'll be about a 40 minute drive from here, Miss Alvares," he explained while we walked towards the car. "There's more traffic than usual today."

"Oh okay," I answered. "By the way, you can just call me Caro."

"As you wish Miss Caro," he said gesturing to the black Escalade. "This is your ride."

My jaw hit the floor. It was so shiny.

Brian noticed my expression and laughed, "You know, Miss Caro, students at Canada's National Dance Academy are treated like royalty. I know because I've been a driver for the academy for over five years."

I nodded, still speechless. He finished loading my stuff in the trunk and asked, "Miss Caro, are you coming with me?"

I nodded, unable to utter a word. He opened the car door for me and my hands flew towards my mouth.

"Dios mio! My God! Are you sure you're not supposed to be picking up Beyoncé?" I asked, sliding onto the leather seats.

"Miss Caro you continue to tickle my feathers," he replied with a laugh.

This must be one of those Canadian expressions. I did the polite thing and laughed along with him even though he had no feathers on him, as far as I could see.

But seriously, you could smell the money in the air. For one, there was a charging station in between the seats. Then, there was a settings bar on each side for passengers to control the climate of their fricking seats. And on top of that, there was mini bar.

"Please help yourself to refreshments, Miss Caro. While you're at it, do you have any musical preference? Or would you prefer a quiet ride?" Brian threw questions at me, while starting the car.

"Thank you Brian," I said, grabbing an Evian water. "But if you don't mind I'd like to ask you a couple of questions."

He nodded in agreement. So I continued.

"What's being at CNCA like?"

"Well, Miss Caro, it is a very big campus. But don't be fooled, there's probably less than 900 students attending the school."

Interesting.

"From what I hear, there's a great balance between the in-class/academic side and the training. The dorms are excellent and you're basically living in the heart of Toronto, so you have access to anything you would need."

Good to know.

"However, as you may probably already know, it is an extremely competitive school to get into. You want my advice?" he asked, glancing back at me through the rear-view mirror.

I nodded yes. I wanted to be there. So any advice that could I could get would be an advantage right?

"Don't act like you want to be there."

Scratch that. "Huh!?" I exclaimed. "Please explain..."

"My advice to you would be to audition like you belong there. After all, they already know you're talented. Now they just want to see individuality and passion."

Okay. Makes sense. I could do that without a problem. "Thanks Brian. This is really helpful."

"Anything for you Miss Caro. I do particularly enjoy your company, so I'm hoping you make it. I would be honoured to drive you everywhere," he said.

"Wait a minute...you drive students on a daily basis?"

"Not every student. Only the international ones, such as yourself, during their first year. And only on weekdays. Anywhere in Toronto or the GTA."

"Wow...I think I need to pinch myself. If my mamá was here she would cry tears of joy," I mumbled.

Brian smiled in response. We rode in comfortable silence before I said to him, "Do you really think I can make it?"

"Of course, Miss Caro. I can't explain it but I can sense a certain spark and positive energy in you just by looking at your eyes."

I blushed and smiled.

"It also helps that you weren't a brat when we met earlier. I think you're one of the few people I've given a ride to who hasn't thrown a fit because there was no Fiji water or Perrier in the mini bar."

I laughed and replied, "You are a funny man Brian."

We fell into silence again as we hit the section of the trip with traffic. We weren't even halfway there yet.

Brian's advice replayed in my head again and again. I was scared, nervous and excited for my upcoming audition. I would definitely make time to practice when I arrived.

Before getting too lost in my thoughts, I asked Brian a final question, "I need to relax a bit. Got any Romeo Santos in your music selection?"

"Spotify is universal, Miss Caro," he replied, pressing the Spotify button.

He selected a playlist and music flooded my ears. 

I eventually fell asleep to Eres Mía, feeling relaxed about my fate at CNCA.