IV

Chapter IV. Suspicions

Arturia adjusted her hair with a dark red ribbon that matched her tie and part of her tunic. She sighed as she saw other girls from her house leave the room, saying goodbye to her with a smile.

It had been a couple of weeks since Arturia had arrived at Hogwarts, weeks in which she met nice people among her classmates and the people in her house. Everything seemed to be going well in her new life, the students came to have some respect for her, the teachers noticed that she was brilliant and had become the favorite of several professors and Dumbledore and she even got to behave like a family. For her, Dumbledore had become her only family and appreciated him more than she could imagine. However, not everything was perfect. There was a teacher who wasn't very comfortable with her presence and didn't seem to trust her either, specifically it was Severus Snape, who was made suspicious.

Many times she had noticed when he looked at her, trying with his deep black eyes to reach the depths of her soul to discover the truth. Those were the times when Arturia feared that her true identity would be known.

The young woman with golden hair left the room. Her first class that day was Potions, which meant that again Snape would be trying to discover something about her that could betray her.

She went to the large dining room so they could have breakfast, sitting close to the trio she had come to know better than the rest. Her blue-green eyes looked towards the Hufflepuff table, greeting Cedric with a very slight smile before beginning to eat calmly, though, as always, in large quantities.

"Sometimes I wonder how you and Ron don't get fat and where you have so much food." Hermione commented while looking at both with a slight grimace.

"I guess I have a rapid digestion process." The blonde excused herself.

The biology books that she had come to read when she lived with her previous Master were useful.

"Hey, Artie. Snape is looking ay you." Ron told her in a whisper.

Arturia's eyes turned to the aforementioned and, in short, he was watching her. She felt uncomfortable and looked away almost immediately. Her appetite had vanished and she began to prick the food with her fork.

"I always see that he looks at you as if he expected to discover something about you." Harry commented.

"Maybe he does not trust me. Since my godfather has never spoken about me so openly, it is normal to suspect of me."

"I suppose, although I wouldn't distrust the word of Dumbledore." Hermione said.

Arturia felt bad about that. She knew that everything was a lie and when the truth was discovered they probably wouldn't have the same confidence in her or Albus. She simply nodded to finish eating.

Arturia enjoyed the Potions class, it really made her entertained, what came to bother her were the professor's looks. Sometimes she sensed that he didn't like her.

"I have to find a way to persuade him. The best thing is tell him directly and then I make up an excuse " She thought while, together with Cedric, elaborated a healing potion.

"I think Professor Severus doesn't trust you." Cedric commented.

"Did you notice it too?"

"Yes. I don't know why he's so distrustful. You have not proven to be someone with bad intentions and you are very good at Potions." The brown haired said with a kind smile.

A sigh came from Arturia's lips.

"I'm glad you think good things about me. I feel lucky that you are my friend."

Cedric smiled happily at the blonde's words. He would be lying if he said that he had not blushed because of it. Arturia was always honest and kind, but at the same time she was intelligent, noble and trusting. Those characteristics not many women possessed and used to be attractive, especially if they came from a girl with a beauty as pure as Arturia's. Maybe he was starting to like her.

The class ended and the students quickly took their things to leave. With books and scrolls in her arms, Arturia approached Professor Snape's desk.

"Professor, I would like to ask you something."

"I listen, Pendragon."

"I've noticed that you've been looking at me for the last few weeks, why?"

"I don't know what do you mean, Miss Pendragon."

"Do not lie to me, professor. I know you distrust me and I do not understand why, I have never done anything to indicate that I am not trustworthy. You look at me as if you wanted to find something else, as if there was something in me that is not right, as if trying to discover some secret about me. Why do you distrust me ?!" She said. She didn't notice that she began to raise her voice.

Snape knew that she had noticed his distrust of her and was surprised that she had the courage to ask him and was even more surprised that she had the audacity to raise her voice. He couldn't expect less from a Gryffindor girl. Even so, he resented being challenged, causing his gaze to harden.

"Ten points from Gryffindor for raising the voice to a professor." Sentenced the jet-black hair while writing again.

"You still have not answered my question." Arturia crossed her arms.

"Dumbledore has never mentioned his family to third people, I have known what happened with his family and he has never mentioned any goddaughter. If he was so proud of you Miss, I'm sure he would have said it to those he trust, but he never did it and now out of nowhere it turns out that he had a goddaughter of whom he is extremely proud, doesn't that seem suspicious to you, Miss Pendragon?"

Arturia's face paled. That was Snape's answer and it stopped her like a bucket of cold water. She kept silent, thinking about what would be wise to answer.

"Yes it would be suspicious to me, but do you think you would have risked your living relatives for more confidence you had in someone else? He never wanted to put me and my parents at risk. When they died, my godfather became the only family I had and, only being here, he could protect me." She said looking down.

She had managed well enough for that answer. Snape looked her eyes, hoping to see the lie in them. The feelings of the girl were honest, since they didn't refer to Dumbledore but Merlin, although the situation reported was not true, what she felt was true and that was convincing for the teacher.

She didn't say anything else and left the classroom.