III.I. MYRIAH

⟣⟡⟢

⟣⟡⟢

MYRIAH

The Dawn Treader was a fast ship, the fastest in the Manderly fleet. She had been a gift by Old Wyman, most likely to appease his new queen, and Myriah had even been granted the honor to name the ship since her virgin voyage would take her to Dorne. Her first suggestion had been Queen Myriah's Revenge, but the captain of the ship, as well as Varion, the captain of her guard, had mumbled something about it being too obvious. So she chose Dawn Treader, in remembrance of Nymeria and her thousand ships, who had sailed across the narrow sea and ushered Dorne to a new era, like the dawn brings a new day. Nymeria had been the Sun herself and her blood ran in Myriah's veins.

Everyone, sailors, and soldiers were amazed by either the modern ship or the thought of seeing a foreign land. And their glee annoyed their queen terribly. Since she had bid farewell to her husband and sons, Myriah had been nothing but miserable. A night away from her newborns should give every mother the chance to rest for a while, but the exact opposite happened to her. She worried about them and about Jon, too. No doubt he was in dire need of her counsel, or her comfort at least.

But Myriah needed him just as much. The worries about the events at home were only overruled by the uncertainty about what would await her in the following days. Her captain her never meant to scare her when he spoke of the growing numbers of pirates between Gulltown and White Harbor, and that Greyjoy ships had been spotted raiding the east coast now, too. They had expected to get attacked at every hour of the day. And the winter storms had made those who had never set foot on a ship before sick.

The crew and guards cheered when Sunspear's Old Palace came in sight. Yet, another great number of things for Myriah to worry about. She had no idea what would happen once they reached the harbor or the palace, or the day after she had started to feel safe.

Since her last visit, Myriah linked no good memories to this place. Now, she returned to visit the graves of her father and brother, and to put those to justice who caused their death.

She had thought of every little thing that might happen and had often come up with good plans, but they would be worth nothing if she'd get slayed in the streets of the Shadow City. Her Guard counted fifty men. Whoever held Sunspear now had at least four times more men who'd be ready to fight and kill at an instant. If the Dornish truly wanted her dead, she wouldn't stand a chance.

The only thing that truly eased her mind was the thought of her little Edrick waiting for her. It had been far too long. A mother should never leave her child alone among strangers.

Hugging herself, Myriah watched Sunspear's walls and towers closing up. Even the southern wind had turned chilly during this season, though actual winter might not come to Dorne at all. The Red Mountains had often kept the heavy snow clouds away. If Jon hadn't been crowned King or the great army of dead men, Myriah would have taken him, Robard and Rickard south with her to stay until winter in the North was over.