III.V. MYRIAH

⟣⟡⟢

⟣⟡⟢

MYRIAH

The days at Sunspear wore on. A council meeting, an audience, a supper with an influential person, another council meeting, a visit to the poorhouse and a visit to the Sept, a council meeting... Her days consisted of little else. And that, Myriah owed to Ser Manfrey, who had insisted that she would spend her time until her bannermen's arrival being a dutiful Princess, who cared about nobles and commoners alike, trying to win their love and loyalty.

And after hours of sitting around patiently, smiling and having her hand kissed, Myriah found herself thinking if it wasn't better to be feared than loved. The people had loved Robb and betrayed him still. So what good did devotion bring him?

Edrick was her only joy, with his giggles and kisses, and watching him play made her forget about everything and everyone. Everyone except her twin babies and Jon.

"I miss them." She had admitted to Elia when the two of them had walked around the modest garden together with Edrick. "I wish there wasn't two and a half thousand miles between Sunspear and Winterfell. Even when I leave this place, it will still take months until I arrive there. I bet Robard and Rickard will be walking by then."

"Two and a half thousand miles? Have you counted every single one of them?" Elia had jested, trying to cheer her up, but it was no good.

"It feels like it's a world away." Had been her answer, while she had looked up to the sky, where the sun burned down on her face.

"My sweet cousin. You cannot rule Dorne with your heart and head in a faraway land."

And everyone in Myriah's council shared that thought, though none of them dared to say so. In his days, Ser Manfrey, his wife, and Ricasso had all given her father counsel, and she valued their suggestions and advises the same. These three always had the same opinions, yet Myriah needed someone who would question their statements and make her elaborate on her ideas.

There was no one better than Elia and Ser Humfrey.

If it wasn't for Edrick, Myriah would have sent the Hightower knight home on the day he arrived at Sunspear, but her son was still rather attached to him. And even though she couldn't stand the presence of him, she still owed him a lot. After her rejection, Humfrey had tried to get back into her favor countless times, and although she acted deaf and blind to everything he said or did, Myriah enjoyed watching him make a fool out of himself.

And a fortnight passed and all the lords and ladies sworn to House Martell gathered at the Old Palace of Sunspear. The three days of celebration started with a ceremony in the sept. Myriah knelt in front of the statue of the Father, in an ivory dress with a veil of Myrish lace covering her hair, while the septon sent his prayers the Seven asking to bless their new Princess courage, wisdom, the right judgment, and every other blessing the Gods could give. She left the temple under the chants of her people and Nymeria's crown upon her head.