III.IX. MYRIAH

⟣⟡⟢

⟣⟡⟢

MYRIAH

She couldn't think of a reason why Daenerys had asked to see them not in her council chambers but outside of the fortress on the stairs leading down to the beach. It would seem wiser to discuss matters of state and such inside. But of late, little seemed to make sense to Myriah. So King and Queen walked the endless stairs to meet her in silence, for the shadow of yesterday's argument still haunted their weary minds.

The dispute had been pointless, Myriah admitted as much as that, and she regretted having replied to his words with her common temperament. Jon's absence throughout the day had been the cause of it. He had arrived just in time for supper, though his mood had been pensive if not vexed. After his meeting with the Imp, her husband had gone to see Ser Davos Seaworth to inform him of the recent events. Jon spoke little of the conversations he had with either man, which had angered Myriah, who had spent half the day worrying about him, even more. Now, while Ser Davos was a friend and advisor to Jon, Tyrion Lannister wasn't just brother to a queen that wanted both Jon and Myriah dead, but he was Hand to another one that would gladly watch Jon's regency fail. A wrong word, even a wrong look and that wicked little creature would have had just the ammunition to destroy what they had so carefully and arduously built.

Had Daenerys Targaryen called them here to watch them tremble and tumble and fall?

Myriah walked behind her husband and fell back even further when she saw two dragons wheeling over the cliffs in the distance.

"Hurry along now, Love." Jon urged her as he stopped to wait. Had it not been for his own feeling of guilt he wouldn't have called her Love.

"Strange," She stated, eyeing the beasts with suspicion, "how I manage to ignore them perfectly when they are out of sight."

"You manage to ignore a great many things when they are out of your sight." With a sigh, his gaze dropped. After some consideration, he offered her his hand as an excuse for the words he had just said. Myriah took it hesitantly and together they approached the Dragon Queen. "But you ought to admit, it is an amazing thing to see."

At this point, Daenerys joined in. She had heard them arriving, though she didn't bother to turn around while speaking to them. "I named them for my brothers, Viserys and Rhaegar. They are both gone now." Slowly, she tilted her head in Jon's direction. "You lost two brothers as well."

"Aye, I did." He nodded wistfully in return. "I named two of my sons after them."

As Myriah looked at him just as wistfully, she felt Daenerys' eyes on her. The Targaryen seemed to smiled her empty smile. Myriah almost felt sorry for her, since she had never experienced the joy of having children of her own.