0

novis initiis. 

 (new beginnings)

how it all started.

[Y/N] STARES AT THE SCREEN in the same way that a young child is enraptured by dozens of fireflies on a hot summer night, the same wonder about the tremendous display before her spreading over her face crested by a soft blue glow. 

"IT'S YOUR POWER!"

there is a terrific shout that breaks through the deafening silence and the wind leaves her lungs as right before her eyes figures clad in red white and blue rush head first at each other. torn fragments of fabric from gym tracksuits whirl in a frantic dance in the gusts of wind produced from their flurry of fists. a plume of vermilion, amber, and lemon yellow blooms in the air, a bouquet of colors shifting and swirling together in columns of smoke and ash. 

she leans forwards, closing her eyes—she can literally feel the heat blooming on her face, feel the chill of the ice crawl up her spine and paint frost on her cheeks as it shot upwards in pinnacles of glacial perfection (and danger, there is danger here and she can't seem to shake the feeling of dread and fear even as she is sitting there, breathless, in awe. there is danger, and it is beautiful) and covered half of the screen. the camera shakes; [y/n] shudders. before her is raw power, combined with technical finesse—a frightening combination. 

the girl wants to have it too, and maybe once upon a time she could have stretched her fingertips far enough to just grasp that wisp, that figment of her impossible dream before it escaped, slipping through her fingers as easy as water. the pads of her fingers can only go so far as the surface of the screen, separated by physical barriers from the world that was so cruel—and so wonderful.  

but for now, even as she folds herself into her swivel chair and restricts her world to a small screen, she can remain in this perfect dream.