efflagito

(request)

「dear apricity.」

THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT is a phenomenon to be feared. perhaps this wariness stems from the many instances when it has showed up unceremoniously in her life, a hurricane stirred from a misplaced breath ripping through the mirage of what she thought she could hold onto. [y/n] has been getting tired of being reminded everyday of how fragile mortality is, the card castle of her life swaying too much for her liking. 

but for now, she hasn't fostered this outlook, and remains ignorant. peaceful. happy, even. [y/n] would later look back and realize that, something else was set in motion when her mother cleared her throat over a table set with jars of jam and lightly charred pieces of toast. 

"[y/n]. i was...thinking."

the girl hums under her breath, knife flashing under the kitchen lights as it disappears into the slightly translucent pool of raspberry jelly two inches in front of her. she watches as the substance jiggles on her knife, holding it up to eye level to watch the bright white lights refract and bounce in the small cube. a fascinating light show privy to her eyes alone. a small satisfaction in the repeating days, the time loop in which she remains. 

"so, i've noticed that you've been spending way too much time alone in that room of yours—"

[y/n]'s breath catches in her throat. her eyes risk a quick glance at her mother, before zipping back to her own plate. her hands shake as she attempts to smoothly spread the currant-colored jam over her toast. 

she concentrates on the sweeping strokes of her knife, timing her breaths with the back and forth motion. a drop escapes over the edge and onto her thumb. it's sweet, the slightest tang of raspberry flooding her mouth as she gulps and tries not to bite on her nails—a nervous habit she finds she had picked up over the last couple of weeks of sneaking about. 

the clatter of her knife on tile is much louder than it has to be, a traitorous sign of her telltale heart. rokku stops speaking, looking at her curiously. the woman's own piece of toast had been en route to her mouth before the sudden disturbance stopped it.