9-Burn

He couldn't breathe.

He couldn't breathe!

Jerking awake he looked around wildly, desperately trying to find what could be the cause. All he could see were blurry images. Memories forcing themselves into reality.

It burned. It burned so, so badly! Gasping desperately for an ounce of oxygen he backed up til he was pressed against the stone wall behind him.

The heat tearing through his body and siphoning away his breath, blurring his vision even more so as he curled into himself.

His mind hazed with pain.

Chocking!

Fire!

Burning!

Drowning!

Hands!

Hands wrapping around his throat!

"Error!"

A voice? Were they back? The voices?

No, this was to soft. To kind.

Who-?

"Error! You hyperventilating bud. Breathe in, slowly." The voice was warm and husky but in contrast nervous and fearful.

He scrunched his eyes shut, forcing in a deep breath of hot bubbling water.

"Now breathe out slowly, slowly... then look at me."

He let out a soft slow breath as told, shaking as his bones cooled ever so slightly. His senses began flooding back to him.

He opened his eyes to see Red.

The smaller's hands gently cupping his cheeks.

"There ya are. Gave me and the boys quite a scare!" Red chuckled nervously as he pulled back.

Small hands patted his chest making him look down to see Null and Void sitting on his lap. Both were flustered, their breathing labored. Null huffing quietly, smiling when he noticed his father look at him, and Void on the other hand was breathing in and out a bit over enthusiastically. He squeaked happily when Error looked down at him as well.

"W-What's going on? Why is it so," Error started but paused for air. "-hot!"

"I thought we had at least a few days, but I guess the Boil came early this year. It's time to leave." Red huffed softly.

Error could only nod flatly. Images still streaking his mind.

Hanging himself.

Someone chocking him.

Drowning himself.

Burning alive.

Someone-

"Grab the boys. I'll take the supplies."

Error looked up at the other, slipping out of his thoughts, nodded. Slipping past the other to scoop up the soft satchel to carry his sons as Red picked up the bags of food and other supplies with a grunt. Error raised a brow at the others effort. "I can take one if you want."

Red simply shook his head. "Nah, I'm fine. Thanks for the offer." His grin was light.

Error decided not to push the smaller. He sighed as the boys slipped into the hammock like bag. "Alright. But if it gets to heavy or you get to tired then tell me."

Red looked over to him. "Ok. I'll keep that in mind. Now since you don't know where to go, I'll be your guide." He chuckled at bit. "Just follow me."

The smaller then turned and lead Error out of the den.

-time skip-

They reached the Shadow vines by noon.

The tall usually dark green waving foliage were now black and brown, stripped bare of its fruits and most of its leaves. It helped the light shined through more easily to the party's displeasure.

It put Error on edge. The exposure the blazing sun and anyone daring to attack.

Ink especially would have died for this kind of opportunity to strike. The heat slowing him down and blurring his mind would give Inky-

No. Stop. Don't think like that.

He let out a shaky breath, clenching his eyes for a moment to push away those thoughts before they've had the chance to form. When he opened his eyes he halted abruptly, seeing as he was inches away from crashing into Red. Error gently swum around to Reds side, brow razed at Reds intense gaze ahead.

"Is everyone here?"

The destroyers eye snapped forward to the sudden voice. In the I distance he could see figures moving about. Soft chirping and small talk could be heard. The only other mer Error and the boys had seen was Red. But right I front of them, hidden by some foliage, was what sounded like a whole group.

Errors grip around the boys tightened as he began to feel nervous. He moved his gaze to Red who pressed against his shoulder. "Let's go around them. We can't risk our supplies."

"Good idea." Error grunted, turning as Red began swimming down a new path.

They circled around, as slow and as quietly as the could until the shadows and voices faded, giving the the clear.

Error relaxed once they were safe and able to continue their path.

"Daddy?" Null looked out from the satchel bag ant to his father. Error looked down at his son with a raised brow. Worry bubbled inside him.

"Yes Null?"

"Why didn't we leave earlier? So it wouldn't be so hot and we wouldn't run into anyone." The smallers eyes gazing up at him searching for answers.

"It would have been to cold." Red spoke up from in front of them. "The Breeding grounds are deeper in the water. If we would have left early, we would have froze to death." Red stopped and turned gazing down at the pup. "Or we could have been eaten by a moray eel. They like the cold and hunt mers in small groups. The move deeper into the water when it warms though so we don't have to worry now. Not until we have to migrate back to the Reef." Null stared up at Red wide eyed, nodding slowly satisfied with the others answer. 

Red smiled softly at Null before looking to Error in all seriousness. "We're here. The drop off."

Red turned and pulled away some vines like a draped curtain to reveal a dark abyss ahead. Error twitched nervously at the sight, moving slowly forward with the boys pressed to his chest. His peered over the edge taking in the surroundings.

Over the edge was a steep decline, sleep enough it could just be a wall. The bottom far below, Error almost couldn't see.

It didn't scare him though. He'd jumped from heights three times as high. Maybe even higher. He never really measured how far he's fallen before. But it's not like he's going to fall now. He's going to swim which is less painful but also not as fast.

Red moved beside him, staring down at the abyss. "Ok, let's go."