8-Prepare

Maniacal laugh,
MANIACAL LAUGH,
MANIACAL LAUGH!!!

Chapter start

As the weeks slowly rolled by, Error took notice in the changes around the reef.

Everything seemed to loose color, the brightest corals turning pastel or white. Fish seemed to be in smaller numbers to, making it harder to catch prey. But the most bold change the destroyer noticed was the temperature.

It was hot. Not a kind of hot he had experienced on land, but more of a uncomfortable burning sensation. Like standing to close to a fire with the numbness of a sunburn. But it slowly began to get worse every day.

Now he truly understood what Red had tried to warn him about. The Boil is something the destroyer was slowly starting to worry about. Especially for the boys.

It made him almost break down when Void began to cry from the discomfort and pain a week prior. In that moment all he wanted to do was move. Leave to the Breeding grounds to keep them from feeling this. But Red insured him that they needed to wait. To trust him to say when they need to leave.

Today he and the boys were once again swimming through the Shadow vine forest. Red was a few tail lengths ahead. Scoping out bundles of those strange fruits to collect.

"Their hard shells keeps them cool and fresh inside, so we need as many as we can. The journey to the Breeding grounds will be long and there wouldn't be much food in the bad lands so we need to prepare." The vermilion colored mer informed him earlier that morning.

But it seemed to be easier said then done. Unlike their last trip to the vine forest it seemed completely stripped of its fruits. Hardly half the bag was filled for the hours they searched.

"Hey Error, I think we should rest for a while. The boys seem a bit over heated. Let's get in the shade so they can cool down and nap." Error looked up slightly startled at the others voice. Red had stopped just ahead of them.

Glancing down at the boys holding his arms he noticed the small flustered cheeks and droopy sockets. Errors eye lights widened as his soul seemingly stopped. He had felt himself heat up a bit but thought nothing of it. But because of that his boys were suffering. It kept slipping his mind that what couldn't kill him could kill others.

"Yeah. That sounds good." He nodded, moving the boys into his arms to cradle them.

Red led them down to the base of the vines, shielded away from the sun.

Error gently placed the boys down in a cool patch of soft moss like plants. Null nuzzled into the softness with a small yawn. He seemed absolutely ready for a good nap.

Void on the other hand was trying with all his little might to stay awake. He looked up at his daddy from where he was placed with a small whine. But soon with every blink Void made, it seemed he struggled a little more to reopen his eyes. He continued his battle until he simply admitted defeat and snuggled up to his sleeping brother.

Error watched the two little ones fondly.

I don't deserve them...

His smile fell ever-so slightly. He knew it was true. How could a killer, a destroyer, like him deserve such a blessing.

Red moved next to the destroyer. Looking over the boys. "They're so precious around this age. I can't wait to have my own." He gazed up to Error, eyes distant but full of emotion. Looking back to the boys he sighed.

"Lust and I had decided to have our first clutch guppies this year, but with my injuries and the fact he might think I'm dead because I won't be arriving with my school... I think we're both going to be to worried and stressed to even try... maybe next year though."

Error glanced over at the vermilion in surprise. "You have a mate?" He couldn't help but ask.

Red nodded with a light chuckle. "Yeah. Even though our relationship is pretty frowned upon." Error razed a brow to this. "What do you mean by that?" He asked.

Red flushed slightly. "Well, him and I are different species. I'm a Flame Angelfish while he's a Royal Basslet."

Error shifted slightly in confusion. "Why would that matter though? If you love each other then it shouldn't matter."

Red chuckled at that before sighing. "I agree with you, it's just most schools don't like or agree on crossbreeding. The whole 'keeping our species bloodline pure' is like a religion to some colonies or groups. I'm really lucky I'm from a lax and excepting school. Lusts family is the same if not more so."

Error frowned a bit. "What about my kind? Do you know about it? I don't want any idiots harassing me or the boys because we're different species."

Red shrugged. "I don't know much about SharkTails besides what Classic tells me. He's a Nurse shark like you, should probably introduce you when we get to the grounds. Anyway all hes ever said about the subject it that Shark mers don't really snoop in others love or sex lives."

Red looked Error over for a moment. "You're probably gonna have to stay with the other Nurse sharks, but they probably won't bother you about it. Like I said, Nurse sharks are very gentle and kind. I'd think the only attention you'll get about them is how adorable or strong they are."

The destroyer tensed slightly, eye narrowing slightly as he thought that notion over. Red had said FishTails don't like sharks, so staying with them would be alright as long as they don't start anything. It would help him out to know more about his and the boys species.

"Hell yeah! Error. Look up there!" Red suddenly pulled him out of his thoughts. Error turned his head up to where Red was pointing to see a large bundle of untouched Shadow Fruits at the top of a vine a dozen feet away. "I'll get them." The vermilion stated before taking off. Red quickly swam up to the surface and collected the bundle before quickly returning.

The bunch of fruits knocked them up to nearly a full bag. It was enough for the Migration, so the two adults decided to continue talking quietly.

Null and Void slept until Error woke them up for the journey home.