Chapter Seventeen: Saving the Brat Part II

Leviathan crossed his arms, a wide smirk on his face as he looked at her. "So... You want me to stay with you, eh?"

"Someone did just try to slit my throat you know."

He nodded. "I'm well aware of that fact... and until you've popped out a good number of children, you'll probably be the main target of any attacks..."

"I'm not asking you to sleep with me."

"I didn't have sleeping in mind," he purred.

"Do you have a sofa or something you can sleep on?" she asked, scowling as she stood outside his room.

"Wait... so you want to come into my room... and you want me to sleep on the sofa?"

"Isn't that what a gentleman does?" She leant forwards, glaring at him.

"I'm not a gentleman inside the bedroom..."

"So you're a barbarian instead? Pfft."

"Want to see for yourself?"

"Not particularly," she said, glaring at him.

"Shame."

Kaliana scowled. "Well I'm not sleeping on the sofa... and I'm not sleeping on the bed with you."

Leviathan sighed. "Well, enjoy your night, I suppose," he mumbled, shutting the door in her face. "Try to be less of a brat the next time you come knocking."

"Arse!" she muttered, slamming her hand against his door, sinking to the floor by it. Her pride wouldn't allow her to knock again. Nerves gnawed at her, every shifting of the air against her skin making her tense up as she huddled outside his door. She couldn't sleep. Her body wouldn't let her... so by the time morning came she was utterly exhausted, her eyes haggard, her back aching from her awkward position she'd kept herself in.

Her maids found her, concern marring their faces as they helped her back into her room, guiding her into the bathroom where they helped her prepare to face the day. She didn't mind the poking and prodding as much that time around. They were kind... gentle... and to be honest, she'd much rather face them than the git of a prince who'd slammed the door in her face.

Was it too much to ask to sleep in the same room as him?

Was he even attracted to her?

Did she disgust him that much?

She shook her head, trying to clear those thoughts. They wouldn't do her any favours... in fact, she shouldn't even be bothering to think about him. He wasn't in her good books at that point in time... not that he'd ever been in them in the first place.

Kaliana sighed, feeling the corset constrict around her chest, the silky smooth layers of the dress slipping over her skin and then she was ready.

Leviathan didn't bother to show up, so she ate her breakfast in silence and fumed over the bastard.

No. She did not miss him.

In fact, she'd rather punch his lights out the next time she saw him.

"How dare he...?!" she muttered, sipping a glassful of blood angrily. "I'll fucking stab him..."

A throat cleared beside her. "Lady Kaliana, you shouldn't use such crass language at the dining table..." the older vampire spoke, and she knew instantly he was an old one. His hair was greying, proving he was in the later part of his life – well into the four digits, maybe even five.

She stiffened. "Who are you?"

"Your tutor," he said. "I'll be teaching you history now."

"I don't want to learn about history," she moaned, her head pounding, her vision spinning as she desperately needed sleep. Sleep her mind wouldn't let her catch up on.

Not until she felt safe that was.

And there was probably only one person in the entire castle she'd feel safe around.

Though Albion might be OK too...

"You need to learn about this, Kaliana!" he snapped, leading her from the hall and to a sitting room of sorts.

"Meh."

"It's important. You're going to be Queen one day, so you need to know about the state of affairs and all the history surrounding it for crying out loud!"

"Your voice is annoying."

He ignored her, settling instead for starting their lesson, the sounds of his voice making her headache worsen. She didn't feel well. No, in fact, she felt sick... and it was all his fault.

"Kaliana!" Her tutor barked. "Pay attention!"

She didn't.

Her body swayed, the sound of a door slamming open distantly registering in her brain, her expression blank as a familiar figure wandered up behind her so-called tutor.

Leviathan placed a hand on his shoulder, shaking his head. "Go," he ordered, sighing quietly as he glanced back at his wife.

Her head drooped again, eyes fluttering shut for a few seconds before she forced them back open, blinking furiously. She hadn't even noticed the old man was gone, leaving only the two of them in the room.

"You're such a damn handful, you know that, right?" he murmured, sitting down on the sofa next to her. "Honestly... What am going to do with you?"

Kaliana turned, staring at him, rubbing her eyes as if he were some mirage. "Bastard?"

"Tch." He grabbed her by the hair, yanking her head down into his lap. "Just shut up and get some sleep, brat."