In Still of The Night

A/N: Warning! This story starts off super slow and will be a slow burn >:)

In the still of the night

While I'm drifting in dreaming

In the still of the night

My thoughts all stray, stray to you

By the moon's mellow night

While the world is in slumber

TJ woke up, eyes wide open, and his forehead sweating. He sat up and pushed off his bed sheets, letting the air of his spinning fan hit his bare skin. Its rotation was the only noise in the cluttered room. "The same dream again," TJ muttered to himself and turned to look at his phone on the bedside table. It was 2AM, and the last notification that he had from the night before was Cyrus' goodnight with a smiling cat emoji. TJ smiled at Cyrus' name before swiping out the notification. He had said goodnight himself before knocking out. He was involuntarily woken up at 2AM and 3AM the last two previous days, and he would never go back to sleep. He was exhausted, and Cyrus had even gone out of his way to stop him the hallway to ask if he was alright that day.

He looked out his window and smiled, remembering how Cyrus pushed through a crowd of people who were all taller than him just to get to TJ. He had a bag of cheese puffs and held it out to him before asking him if anything was wrong. TJ bit his lip for split second before just admitting he's been getting a crappy amount of sleep. They parted after a few more sentences, but for some reason, those few lines were all TJ could think about. He's had good friends before, but he didn't think any of them came close to being as great as Cyrus.

He laid back down, his arms behind his head and started to close his eyes. The song was still stuck in his head. Which one though? he thought to himself. A lot of them sounded the same, but all their lyrics were unique. He started humming the few verses he remembered hearing. Vic Damone? His great grandpa always liked him.

Oh the times without number

Darling when I say to you

Do you love me

As I love you

He smiled. He remembered the song. He remembered fragments of the dream. His GG was sitting on the old corduroy armchair, tapping his fingers to the song. In the corner of his eye, TJ would see Cyrus smiling at him, holding his hand out.

He always woke up before he got to hold his hand. He opened his eyes again and frowned. What did this mean? It had been him GG's living room, his record player, the corduroy couch, and Cyrus. Cyrus reaching out. Cyrus' small hands. Well, he didn't know if they were small. He's only stared at them but never compared them to something.

He rubbed his eyes, becoming annoyed at the reoccurrences. He didn't mind the dreams. He didn't mind being around Cyrus and smiling uncontrollably when he was around. He didn't mind having Cyrus go with him to work or invite him to The Spoon. He had apologized to Buffy, and he was slowly becoming nicer. Nice enough to hang out with Cyrus and his friends at least. TJ turned in his bed and looked at his poster covered wall. He focused on the outlines of the posters that he could barely see, trying to remember the exact colors to avoid the one question in the back of his mind. Eventually, the tune of the 60's song grew louder and so did the question.

Do I have a crush on Cyrus?

He felt hotter than usual, and he knew he wasn't going to fall back asleep. Without another moment's thought, he sat up and went to his desktop to make a playlist.