Chapter Three

Ajax:

December Seventeenth.

The doctors rushed around me in a panic. It was like everything was happening in slow motion and I had no control of body. It felt like I was watching the scene unfold from above me and everyone else.

The blaring of the heart monitor was a constant reminder that she had no heartbeat. Her heart was laying still in her chest, her organs failing to receive the blood and oxygen they needed to survive. I don't know if my imagination had begun to play tricks on me but in my mind it was like I could see the blood draining from her face and her skin becoming pale. The usual rosiness of her cheeks were now gone.

I can't feel anything. I felt numb. I feel like I am suffocating and yet I can feel the pain of my lungs shriveling up without oxygen. Breathe, Ajax. Breathe. Breathe. I can't.

Her lifeless body jumps as the doctor presses the paddles against her chest and yells, "Clear!"

Everyone turns to look at the monitor searching for any sign of a heartbeat. There is none. They shock her again, each time raising the voltage.

Oxygen finally reaches my lungs as they shock her for the fourth time and the annoyingly long beeping tone changes to one of a heartbeat. All of the nurses and doctors around me sigh in relief. I remain as still as possible. I nearly lost my mate. My soulmate.

They still move around in a rush, adjusting all of wires attached to her and rechecking all of her vitals. The doctors sighs heavily and a cold rush flushes through my veins. I can feel something terrible coming.

"Alpha, I'm not sure how much longer-"

His words are cut short by the increase of Octavia's heartbeat. The heart monitor beeped loudly as the doctor rushed back over to her side. Everyone returned into their medical frenzies, trying to understand what was happening to her.

Then it happened. Everything moved in slow motion. My heart constricted in my chest as her right hand clenched into a fist and she lurched froward gasping loudly. Her wild green eyes pried themselves open as she looked around the room in a frightened state.

I lost all control, pushing nurses and even the doctor out of my way. I clutch onto her shoulders and pull her into me, pressing her against my chest. I breathe in her wonderful scent of vanilla and coconut. Her heart beating rapidly in her chest as her frail arms snaked their way around my torso.

"Ajax." She whispered causing the hair on my arms and the back of my neck to raise with goosebumps. Her voice was light and a bit dry but it sounded like heaven to me.

"I'm here, ducky. I'm here."

"Ajax." She repeated. Her small hands grasp tightly onto my shoulders as she moves closer to me, burying her face into my chest.

"I'm here, my love. I'm here."

A moment of silence ensues and I just take in the wonderful feeling of my mate curling up against my chest. I press my nose into her hair, smelling her sweet scent. I could feel my wolf stir and become more responsive than he has ever been in the last few days.

Her grip on me loosens and she pulls away from me slightly. I meet her forest green eyes with my blue ones. They're full of worry and question. My hand reaches up subconsciously and rests against her cheek gently.

"What happened?" Her voice is merely a soft whisper. Her eyes disconnect from mine as they wonder around the room. Everyone was looking at her in both shock and relief. Their Luna was finally awake and hopefully one hundred precent healthy.