Chapter Six

When Ivy's horse - who Elise had learned was called Raven - came into view of Ao's clearing, she expected it to be empty, however when her eyes fell on a crowded scene, she knew something was wrong. The area was filled with Elders, the tribe's most trusted and high ranking members. Elise recognised a few. Messala the prophet, Serena and Sana the twin astrologers and Daveed the head alchemist. All were clumped in a grey-robed circle, clamouring for attention.

"We should dismount here, I don't want to seem disrespectful." Elise whispered before internally panicking. Somehow she managed to mount the horse but had no idea how to dismount. She watched as Ivy gracefully slid down one side and turned towards her somewhat expectantly.

"I have no idea what to do!" She hissed, her eyes wide.

Ivy noticed her predicament and hastily tried to explain without drawing the attention of any other faries. Eventually she held out her arms and suggested that Elise should just fall and she would catch her. Elise swung one leg over and pushed off, hanging in the air for a moment before crashing down into Ivy's arms. They stumbled for a moment and despite what felt like an embarrassing height difference, their faces were inches apart. Ivy broke their silence first.

"Is 'falling into each other' going to be a regular thing or should we try standing up properly from now on?"

The pair laughed before an authoritative voice cut through the clearing.

"Please! I understand you are worried. However we need order. With all this chaos it will be hard to act."

The crowd faded into silence.

"Thank you. Now, if you have anything to declare, you shall do so when asked."

Elise gestured for them to hide but Ivy shook her head. Instead, to her surprise, she took Elise's hand and placed the other on Raven's back. Elise watched curiously as she scrunched up her face for a second and then disappeared. She looked down and saw that her own body had vanished too.

"Invisibility powers." Elise heard Ivy whisper from her right.

They inched forward, getting closer to Ao and the Elders until suddenly Elise tripped and flew forward. Her hand left Ivy's and suddenly she could see her body again. She couldn't tell where Ivy was but before she could make herself visible again, Elise subtly shook her head. A warning.

"Ah, Miss Lockwood." Came a dangerously powerful voice that spat out her name like poison. "What are you doing here?"

She looked up and met her aunt's stern gaze. Elise gulped. She didn't have any ideas left.

A/n: Sorry for the length of this chapter, as of right now, it's the shortest one in the story. After this however, the word count does go up. Thanks for reading and I'll see you next week :)

- Love from Poppy