Chapter Twelve

Outside the cottage, Elise was practicing with her mother's sword. It was longer and heavier than the blades she had wielded before and she felt slightly uncomfortable. She sighed irritably and sheathed it.

She stomped over to a swinging chair suspended from one of the overlapping sections of the cottage and slumped down.

"You know, I did tell you I'd teach you to use that didn't I?"

Elise gasped as Ivy seemed to form out of thin air next to her. She held out a hand with an apologetic smile.

"May I?"

Elise handed her the sword and Ivy inspected it eagerly. She jumped off the swing and seemed to dance with the blade, twirling and slashing as though she was fighting off an invisible army. Then she faltered after catching Elise's gaze. She gave a shy smile and hung her head slightly.

Elise watched curiously as Ivy beckoned her to her feet and grabbed a dagger from her belt. She handed the sword back and Elise understood. She swung the sword and Ivy blocked, retaliating with a jab that Elise spun away from.

They continued moving until Elise struck Ivy's dagger and jolted it out of her hand. She lunged for it but Elise reached the fallen weapon first and kicked it out of the way. They both hesitated before Ivy disappeared.

Elise spun in a circle, trying to find her friend but it was no use. Then she felt the sword rip out of her hands and clatter to the floor. She jumped and collided with something before falling to the ground. Underneath her, Ivy flickered into view.

"I think I win." Elise said with a smirk, her heart racing. Adjusting her weight onto one arm, she swept her hair out of her face with her free hand. As she looked into Ivy's eyes, she felt as though they were being pulled together. Their faces were inches apart. Elise closed her eyes.

Crack!

The snapping of a branch rung out across the clearing, breaking the moment. Elise rolled away from Ivy and could just about see the spotted coat of a deer skittering away from the cottage.

"We should probably think about leaving soon. If the weather stays nice, we can cover a lot of ground." Ivy said, picking up the dagger she had dropped.

Elise nodded silently before getting stuck with an idea. "You should take this." She said, holding out the sheath and offering the sword. "You fight with it much better than me."

Ivy smiled and sheathed the sword. She held out a hand and pulled Elise up. For a moment, they stood in silence, looking into each other's eyes until Ivy stepped back and dropped her hands.

"Thank you." She said with a smile before making her way back to the cottage.

Elise sighed, her heart pounding. She could still feel the sensation of Ivy's hand in hers. It was as though she had been struck by lightning. A tingly feeling spread across her hands. In that moment, her mind started to spiral.

What would've happened if they hadn't been distracted? That moment felt so alluring. So... enchanting.

"No." Elise said out loud, stopping the flood of thoughts as they flowed through her mind.

It wasn't worth it. She had learnt to conceal her thoughts and feelings from a young age. It was something that she was used to but why now did it feel like it was tearing her apart?

Elise sighed again. As hard as she tried, she could never remember when her life was perfect. Always an outcast, always alone. Ever since the accident...

Morgana Lockwood was an adventurous soul and a child wouldn't tie her down. What's life without a little fun? She would say.

When Elise was born, she was immediately introduced to the outside world. Safely strapped to her mother's chest, she would accompany her parents during their chores. Throughout the tribe fairies would coo at the Chief's niece as she traveled past, a chubby baby full of happiness.

She should've known it wouldn't last forever.

At five years old, tragedy struck.

Morgana had strayed further from the tribe than she had intended to. There was a creature lurking, hungry for blood.

Elise could remember the creature's roar. A fierce, rough sound that seemed to shake the ground.

Elise could remember flashes and screams and growls as her mother fought to save their lives.

Elise could remember a burning sensation as her mother started a fire to scare the creature away.

Elise could remember so many details that threatened to consume her but what overwhelmed her the most was the face of her mother.

Her skin was slashed, shredded by the creature's claws, blood dripped down as she blindly ran through the forest.

"Fly mama?" Elise asked, not liking the bumpy feeling of running.

"No Elise," Morgana said. "I don't think I can anymore."

It took Elise a long time to realise how deep the pain in her mother's voice really was.

A/N: Hi everyone, I hope you enjoyed this chapter. Stick around and I'll hopefully have another chapter for you. Have a lovely day :)

- Love from Poppy x