| six |

Rebekah didn't go to school the next day, or even the day after that

Rebekah didn't go to school the next day, or even the day after that. Elijah had called her multiple times, but she ignored them. She felt sad. Instead, she chose to clean her house, something she would never do.

After cleaning her house for the second time that day, Rebekah sat down with a hot cup of blood to watch some tv and try and muster up the energy to call her brother. Before she could turn the tv on, a knock at her door stopped her.

She didn't expect to see Jacob for a long time, yet here he was standing at her door. "You weren't at school today," he mumbled, looking down at his shoes.

"I didn't feel up to going." She said simply, stepping aside to let him into her house.

"Sam explained everything." He said, stepping over her threshold.

"I had hoped he would do that."

"I'm sorry." Jake said.

"Come on," Rebekah said, leading him into the sitting room. Jacob took notice of the cup on her coffee table, the rusty smell of blood hitting his nose.

"Sorry," Rebekah mumbled, suddenly very ashamed. She went to pick up her cup and empty it in the kitchen when Jake's hand stopped her.

"Don't. It's better than you hunting and slaughtering people for it." He tried to sound like he was joking, but Rebekah knew he wasn't.

"I'm sorry for how I acted," he spoke again, sitting down next to her on the couch. "I didn't know that your kind wasn't the reason we change. I'm just so angry lately," he hissed out the last part, clearly very upset with himself.

Rebekah placed a hand on his bare shoulder. "I know, I'm not mad. It can be a lot to take in."

He just nodded. Rebekah looked down to the cup of warm blood in her hands, remembering that she hadn't had any all day. She knew that if she didn't have any soon she would get snappy and rude, not that she wasn't snappy and rude all the time. Bringing it to her lips, she took a small sip, making sure to clean her teeth with her tongue before she looked to Jacob.

He wasn't looking at her with disgust, like she thought he would. He just looked uneasy, like he was uncomfortable. "I understand that," she paused, mulling over what she was going to say. "I understand if you don't want to be friends with me anymore."

Her chest hurt with that statement, but she ignored it.

"I just need some time," Jake said, "to get used to everything."

She nodded. "If you have any questions, ask away."

"How old are you?"

For some reason, she had been dreading this question. Unease filled her as she cleared her throat uncomfortably. "Uh, a thousand or so years." She mumbled.

Jake's eyes almost bulged out of his head. "A thousand?" He repeated incredulously.

Rebekah nodded. "I was seventeen when I changed, I think."

"How did it happen?" Jake asked.

Rebekah's heart hurt thinking about it. "My father was a Viking, and we moved here because they lost my elder sister to a plague. My mother was a witch, you see, and she had heard about this land of health and strength, a new world. My mother and father moved here, but soon found out that all the villagers were actually werewolves,"

At Jacobs confused glance, Rebekah explained. "You're a shifter, but there are children of the night out there too. You're one of the lucky ones, really."

"Every full moon, my family and I would retreat into these caves under the town, then come out by morning. One night, Niklaus took Henrik out to watch the wolves, and Henrik was attacked, and he died. My parents decided that they didn't want to lose any more children, and so my mother cursed us and my father drove his swords through our hearts. We were the first vampires, at least of our kind."

Jacob stared at her with wide eyes, before pulling her into a strong hug, surprising her. Rebekah hesitantly returned it. "I'm sorry," Jacob spoke as he pulled back.

"I have had many years to come to terms with it." Rebekah smiled, though her eyes watered slightly.

"That doesn't mean anything." Jacob said and Rebekah nodded.

"Is there any more questions?" She asked.

"Sam said it sounded like you are running from your brother, why?"

Rebekah frowned. "That bastard shoved a dagger in my chest in the 1920's. It can't kill us but it can send us into a dark, dreamless sleep. I only woke up a few weeks ago, I'm not sure how though. It was like the dagger just fell out of my chest. Elijah helped me run, and now I'm hiding." She huffed.

"Klaus sounds like a real piece of work." Jacob frowned causing Rebekah to giggle.

"Hold on," she said after a second. She jumped up, placing her cup on the coffee table and walked to kitchen. She returned holding a silver knife in her hands. "This is asking a lot, but could you please take this and hide it. Don't tell me where, but make sure no one can find it. I don't mind if the pack knows, but if Nik finds me I can't have him finding this." She held it out to her friend who took it hesitantly.

"I'll talk to my dad, he'll know somewhere to put it." Rebekah smiled gratefully. She opened her mouth to say something when a loud howl pierced the night. "Duty calls," Jacob groaned before getting up.

Rebekah walked him to the door. "Thank you for coming." She said. Jacob just nodded and smiled, before running into the woods.