Ambulance

Jade's POV

"Hey." Said a weak and low voice. I looked down to see Cat, she looked scared. Dried tears staining her face while still crying. My eyes met hers and I could just see the hurt in her eyes, she had a horrified and painful expression on her face. I've never seen her like this, something must be seriously wrong.

"Oh my god... what happened? Where does it hurt!?" I said in shock walking over to her and kneeling down.

"G-get my brother out of her." She said.

"Frankie, go to your room." I said shooing him out of the room.

"Cat..."

"I think... my left leg is broken," She said, "can you please just look at it?"

"Ok..." I said before gently rolling her left legging. My mom is a doctor, and I could tell it was broken. There was a purplish bump under her knee, and her leg had a third joint. It looked painful... but something wasn't right, nobody should cry this much and be in this much pain for just a broken leg... how did this even happen anyway?

"Oh... how this this happen?" I asked while gently tracing my fingers over the bump.

"I-I um, fell. I tripped last night and hit my leg really hard on my dresser." She said. I raised an eyebrow, "Why didn't you call someone?" I asked.

"I fainted... I faint when I'm scared." I looked up to her face and traced it with my eyes to see if she was telling the truth or not. She was lying. There's no way she'd be able to break it with a dresser, then not wake up from the amount of pain she was, and is feeling right now. And... there's no way she'd be in so much pain if it was just a broken leg. Part of me just wanted to undress her and see what else hurt. And no, not because I want to see her naked. I'm not gay, especially when I'm dating Beck, it's because as much as I hate to admit it, I really like Cat, as a friend. And it kills me to se her hurt like this. But as for right now, I'm not going to force her to tell me anything.

"We need to go to the hospital, Cat." I said. She started to shake her head slowly and sobbed out a breath, "N-No... can't you just-- isn't your mom a doctor? She can just bandage me up and we'll all go back to normal," She rambled on, trying to catch her breath. She looked terrified, but why? Why... won't this help her? Why was she so scared to put a cast on, it's not even that much money. And plus my mom is not that kind of doctor, Cat needs a X-ray.

"No Cat, you need an X-Ray. Plus, if we don't go to the doctor, your leg won't heal right and--"

"Who cares if my leg doesn't heal right!" She screamed.

It caught me by surprise. Cat's never acted this way until lately. Mood swings and stuff. It's strange considering she should be our ditzy red head everyone knows. I'm not going to argue with her right now so I grabbed my phone and hit emergency call, calling 911.

"No!" Cat screamed trying to grab the phone out of my hand.

"Dude what's your problem? I'm trying to help, I never help, and why are you so scared of the hospital?" I asked holding her down. Cat moaned in pain as she tried to move to grab the phone out of my hand.

"Stop, your hurting yourself!" I yelled pushing her away. 911 finally picked up and Cat instantly bursted into tears. What's going on? She's probably just tired and hungry, and maybe is just because she's in pain. Just like when girls are on their periods. But either way I felt bad for doing this.

"911, what's your emergency?" The voice on the other side of the line said.

"Hey uh-- I think my friends leg is broken." I hesitantly said.

"Stop, Jade!" Cat sobbed.

"How did this happen?" The dispatcher asked.

"She claims she hit it on a dresser." I calmly said through the phone trying to tune out Cat's screaming.

"Ok, the ambulance is on there way. Is that your friend there screaming in the background?" She asked, referring to Cat, "Yes, it is." I replied, "How long ago did this happen?" "Um... last night or something, she said she hit her leg and fainted. Then said when she woke up that's why she called me."

"Is she scared or does it hurt?" The person asked. Actually, that was a good question. That's what I was trying to figure out myself. She only started to cry and scream to not call the ambulance when I did, and I was just guessing she was just scared and in pain and tired, that's why she acted out. But I looked into her eyes one more time before replying to the dispatcher, and I could tell it was something much worse than that... but what was it?

"Um... I think a bit of both." I hesitantly said.

"The ambulance should be here soon. So you are in your house right now?" "Yes." "In which room?" "The bedroom."

I heard her whisper something on the other side of the line, and I assume she was just yelling the ambulance where we where.

Soon enough I heard the door open, Cat and I's head snapping towards it and her face immediately softening as she looked at the doctors heading towards her and carrying her away. I stood up and followed them outside and into the ambulance truck. As they set Cat down on the bed, sitting up, silent tears ran down her face. She was in pain, I could tell, but not pain from her leg. No, only worse. She was scared, terrified actually, but she wasn't scared of the ambulance. It seemed worse. Different. I've never seen her this way.

What's wrong with Cat?