Prologue

Dr. Wing, Ashlee's father, had made a name for himself in New York City. He, along with a few others, had established their status as the state's leading scientists. New York City was now not only a fashion or food center, but a very scientifically advanced hearth. Of course, the cities unique alien infestations and mutants attracted many geniuses to understand and learn more about said creatures. None of the alien encounters and stories and the mutants roaming the city could officially be proved by scientists. In the scientific world, the stories found on the news were exaggerated versions of simpler coincidences.

     Dr. Wing's area of study involved genetic engineering and medical sciences (he also loved to dwell in other aspects of the scientific field, but that is a whole other story). The doctor had also spent time working with a handful of other scientists involved in his same fields. The two most commonly known: Dr. Colonley and Dr. Ilene Huff. Those two specifically, had traveled to Japan on multiple occasions on the brink of genetic discovery. Dr. Wing, however, had not heard any word on their discoveries. Although he enjoyed their company and friendship, every career is a competition, and if they hadn't been able to fully develop their theories, that left Dr. Wing with an opportunity. Of course, many opportunities found their way to Dr. Wing's desk and they all left him completely entranced and busy. Any work that requires much more attention often leaves strained and tense relationships, typically found in the family.

     Smart parents lead to high expectations in education. Jaxon and Lori Wing's eldest child, named Connor, excelled in similar subjects. Connor found math extremely easy and loved psychology. However, the powerful couple's second child, Ashlee, struggled in such subjects. She found herself much more interested in the orchestral and English arts. It's not that she performed poorly in math or science, she was just average.

     Ashlee found herself involved with anything and everything. Unlike her older brother, she had absolutely no clue what she was doing with her life. Because of this, Ashlee managed to find different cliques and different groups of friends. But even then, she still had no idea what she was doing.

     The one person that had seemed to understand Ashlee was Nathan Burns. The two were different not just in personality, but in every aspect. Nathan was much darker-toned, with black hair and dark brown eyes, compared to Ashlee's fair skin, blonde hair, and blue eyes. Nathan also did not live a luxurious life. He was middle class, lived in an apartment with his parents, two sisters, and brother. He loved sports. He played in any high school team he could. That was something Ashlee couldn't understand.

     Nathan worked, though. He worked a lot. With the help of his parents and his own hard-earned money, he was able to fly to California and spend his junior year of high school at a private school. To say the least, he hated it and returned to New York City. He did, however, learn much more than he thought he would and was "ahead of the game" (as he would say) when he returned home.

     Ashlee's parents liked him. They liked him a lot. High school sweethearts. But when Nathan had moved, they could not keep up with each other. They agreed to break things off until he would be able to get back; then they would see if everything could work out. If not, they both agreed that it would be for the best.

     When Nathan did return, however, the two did not talk to each other for a couple of days. Ashlee saw him at school and had planned to approach him but recognized his new group of friends. Every school consists of many different types of people and groups. Groups even include the druggies, potheads, stoners, and every other name imaginable. Those groups were the ones Ashlee distanced herself from. Now, Nathan ran with that crowd. He did not ignore Ashlee at school. He tried to talk to her during lunch and between classes, but Ashlee refused to associate with him.

     One day, after school, Ashlee ran into Nathan and his friends. They were completely broke and Nathan, knowing Ashlee, gave her an opportunity. She couldn't refuse. They wouldn't let her refuse. It confused her though, why Nathan came back and decided to completely change. She never saw him smoke or use anything they bought them. Some of them would, as expected, but he never did. They would stash the majority of it away into boxes and she would never see it again.