How to Overcome Writer's Block

Whenever we're stuck or have nothing else to type in a story, we get the writer's nightmare and obstacle; writer's block

Whenever we're stuck or have nothing else to type in a story, we get the writer's nightmare and obstacle; writer's block. Don't worry, fellow writers. There are ways of how to overcome the writer's obstacle.

Fear

Do you fear that your not good enough?

Do you fear the competition? Editors? Writing itself?

You have big dreams and good intentions, but you can't get past your fear?

Do you fear the harsh criticism that you would receive on your story?  

I have a solution; acknowledge your fears. And when I say acknowledge your fears by pushing it away and stop worrying. Acknowledge your fears of what you are afraid of and let that humble you to the humility that motivates you into hard work that will lead you to success. Push back the fear because writing a book can be hard.

Take a walk/Exercise

Taking a walk can improve your mood and exercise relaxes you, these steps will get your blood flowing.

Free-write

Freewriting is a practice of writing down all your thoughts without stopping. It doesn't have to be more or less and with free-writing, you write without regard for grammar, spelling, or any of the usual rules of writing. You can actually free-write on your journal, diary, or in your laptop/computer/tablet. Or you could look up writing prompts or picture prompts here on Wattpad.  

Listen to music

If your female protagonist is going on well needed vacation to Brazil and meets a handsome male protagonist, the music would have Bossa Nova music by artists by Elis Regina, Sergio Mende, Gal Costa, Joao Gilberto, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Stan Getz, Astrid Gilberto, Bebel Gilberto, Gilberto Gil, and Quincy Jones. While I was writing my story titled, The Personal Trainer's Ex-Girlfriend, some of the songs stems from the 90s because one of the main characters, Kehlani is an aficionado of 90's music just like me.

Creativity

Write down your own ideas on a blank sheet of paper or type it in your laptop or tablet or your phone.

Self-care

Sleep well and eat a nutritious meal

Be positive

Exercise

Take a relaxing bath or a hot/cold shower

Give yourself what you really enjoy

Set Up a List

Add writing as a part of your To-Do list along with the plans that you have for the day.

The last one is a shocker, yet true...

Turn Off the Distractions

Anything that is keeping you away from writing is a distraction. For example, going to your social media feed over and over on Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter is a big time hindrance.