Slangs/Phrases of the 1960s

If you are deciding to write a story that takes place in the 1960s, stay tuned.

In the 1960s, the Civil Rights Movement was a struggle for justice and equality for African Americans that took place between 1954-1968 with the goal to enforce constitutional and legal rights for African Americans that other Americans already enjoyed. Interracial marriage is legalized, Beatlemania has taken place, and the Black Panthers protested for full employment, decent housing, and education as well as opposing police brutality. The era of the 1960s was described as the counterculture and revolution in social norms about clothing, music, drugs, sexuality, formalities, schooling along with the fall of the social taboos relating to racism and sexism. The Woodstock Festival was a music festival that symbolized peace, music, freedom, and idealism, the Flower Power slogan was used in the late 60s and early 70s to promote non-violence and passive resistance in the opposition movement to the Vietnam War. Hippies wore vibrant colors with embroidered flowers on their clothes as well as having flowers being adorned on their hair to embrace the symbolism.   

A gas: Having a fun time.

All show and no go: Looks good superficially.

Ape: Crazy or mad.

Bad: Awesome.

Bad-ass: Trouble maker.

Bean wagon: Cheap restaurant or a lowered car driven by Mexican Americans.

Beat feet: Leave quickly.

Bench racing: Sitting around and talking about the speed of their cars.

Blast: A good time, a loud party.

Blitzed: Drunk.

Bogart: To keep for yourself; to bully.

Bone yard: A place to put junk or wrecked cars.

Boob tube: Television

Boogie board: A short surfboard.

Bookin': Going fast in a car.

Boss: Fantastic

Brew: Beer

Brody: Skid half a circle in a car with the brakes locked.

Bug: To bother.

Bug out: To leave.

Bummer: A bad thing or unpleasant experience.

Burn rubber: Squeal tires and leave rubber on the road.

Catch some rays: Get out in the sun.

Cherry: Mint condition.

Chicken/To play chicken: Two cars driving towards each other.

Chinese fire-drill: When four people get out of a car at a right light and exchange places in the car.

Chop: To cut someone down verbally.

Chrome Dome: Bald man.

Classic Five: The Temptations.

Cool head: Nice guy.

Crash: Sleep.

Cut out: Leave the area quickly.

Decked out: Dressed up.

Deuce: Putting two fingers up in a peace symbol.

Dibs: Ownership.

Dig: Understand.