Slangs/Phrases of the 1990s

The 1990s is my favorite decade! Not because I was born in the 90s, yet because back in the 1990s; we had the best TV Shows such as; Friends, the Fresh Prince of Bel Air, All That, Beverly Hills 90210, My So-Called Life, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Freaks & Geeks, Disney's the All New Mickey Mouse Club, Waynehead, Beavis & Butt-Head, Daria, King of the Hill, MadTV, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Felicity, Degrassi High, New York Undercover, the X-Files, Seinfeld, the Nanny, Clarissa Explains It All, Frasier, Animaniacs, Doug, Roseanne, Party of Five, Kenan & Kel, Ren & Stimpy, Pinky & the Brain, Will & Grace, In Living Color, Ally McBeal, the Magic School Bus, ER, the Powerpuff Girls, Xena: Warrior Princess, South Park, Mad About You, That 70s Show, Melrose Place, Spongebob Square Pants, Saved By the Bell, Nickelodeon's Action League Now!, Oh Yeah Cartoons!, Full House, Sister Sister, Boy Meets World, Family Matters, Thea, Smart Guy, seaQuest DSV, Living Single, Malcolm & Eddie, Martin, the Jamie Foxx Show, Rocko's Modern Life, Hey Arnold!, the Wild Thornberrys, the Angry Beavers, CatDog, KaBlam!, The Wayans Bros, Moesha, the Parkers, TRL (Total Request Live), Sex And the City, Cops, Law & Order, the Jerry Springer Show, Maury Show, Sally Raphael, Ricky Lake Show, Montell Williams, the Simpsons, Rugrats, the Steve Harvey Show, Ellen, the Parent 'Hood, Clueless, Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, Sailor Moon, MTV's Celebrity Death Match, Touched by An Angel, and Saturday Night Live was known for the time period when Adam Sandler, Dana Carvey Rob Schneider, Chris Farley, Tim Meadows, Chris Rock, David Spade, Kevin Nealon, Jan Hooks, Ellen Cleghorne, Phil Hartman, and Victoria Jackson were in the show with Farley remembered for the Chippendales skit with Patrick Swayze. The OJ Simpson murder trial was most viewed in television as it was known as the trial of the century. Let's face it; we had shows with strong messages that teaches us a valuable lessons that we carry onto in our lives.

The music in this decade was mostly Gangsta Rap and Grunge as a part of the teen angst. So, pop music was diminished, except in Europe because boy bands perform pop music and the group of the opposite sex called the Spice Girls broke down the barriers with their famous mantra "Girl power," to promote female empowerment and that women can accomplish as boy bands. The All New Mickey Mouse Club featured; singers Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, Christina Aguilera, J.C. Chasez, Marque Tate Lynche (would go on to appear in Season 3 of American Idol), Tony Luca, Matt Morris (songwriter), Rhona Bennett (a current member of En Vogue) as well as actors/actresses Nikki Deloach (from the MTV show Awkward and original movies on Hallmark Channel as well as a member in a girl group Innosense), Dale Godboldo, and Ryan Gosling. Teen pop and dance pop emerged in the 90s while contemporary R&B, adult contemporary, new jack swing, G-funk, house/techno music, alternative rock, alternative metal, indie rock, heavy metal, country music, hard rock, salsa, and jazz are still in the charts. When we think of the artists in the 90s, we think of; Janet Jackson and her brother Michael, Mariah Carey, Boyz II Men, Whitney Houston, George Michael, Deborah Cox, R&B group Xscape, Nirvana, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, Tamia, Eric Benet, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Selena Quintanilla Perez who broke down the gender barrier as the Queen of Tejano which was a male-dominated genre of music that incorporates polka and country with a Latin twist, Marc Anthony, Jennifer Lopez, Notorious BIG, Enrique Iglesias, Tupac Shakur, Madonna, Alanis Morissette, Blind Melon whose video for their song "No Rain" featured a girl in a bee costume, the Backstreet Boys, 3T, NSYNC, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Mandy Moore, Jessica Simpson, Hanson, 98 Degrees, Spice Girls, Brownstone, 702, Jermaine Dupri, Da Brat, R Kelly, TLC (the girl group trio who record songs that we could relate to as well as their down to earth, positive messages of being an independent woman along with Lisa 'Left Eye' Lopes sporting a condom over the left lens of her glasses as the emblematic to encourage safe sex), Aaliyah (an angel with an angelic voice with sleek, long black hair with the side bang swooped to cover one eye and sported in tomboy clothes with a street, but sweet persona), Mary J. Blige, OutKast, Cece Peniston with her notable hit song "Finally", the Fugees, Lauryn Hill, Green Day, Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Hole (fronted by Kurt Cobain's wife, Courtney Love), No Doubt, Creed, the Cranberries, Radiohead, Oasis, Sugar Ray, Jane's Addiction, Garbage, Marilyn Manson, Lenny Kravitz, Jodeci, Montell Jordan, Shanice, Usher, SWV, Zhane, A Tribe Called Quest, LL Cool J, the Rembrandts, New Radicals, Celine Dion, En Vogue, Donell Jones, Jon B, Total, Vanilla Ice, Salt-N-Pepa, Tyrese, Next, Ginuwine, Jay-Z, Nas, Ol' Dirty Bastard, Wu-Tang Clan, Redman, Faith Evans, Ricky Martin, Mase, Brandy, Monica, Timbaland, Missy Elliott, Magoo, Kelly Price, the Beatnuts, Fat Joe, Toni Braxton, Babyface, Tevin Campbell, Lil Kim, Mya, Dru Hill, 3rd Storee, Coolio, Color Me Badd, Busta Rhymes, P Diddy, 112, Destiny's Child, Blaque ( a girl group trio who would appear in the 2000 movie, Bring It On starring Kirsten Dunst and Gabrielle Union-Wade), C+C Music Factory, Shakira, Vanessa Williams, Snoop Dogg, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, Kriss Kross, Cypress Hill, Sir Mix-a-Lot, Joe, H-Town, Keith Sweat, Brian McKnight, Case, Next, Foxy Brown, DJ Quik, Tony! Toni! Tone!, the Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer, Nine Inch Nails, Sinead O'Connor, Metallica, U2, Third Eye Blind, Rage Against the Machine, Will Smith, Marky Mark & the Funky Bunch, Ace of Base, Martha Wash, Arrested Development, Naughty by Nature, R.E.M., Aerosmith, the Counting Crows, Eminem, and Prince changed his name with an unpronounceable symbol as well as the Artist Formerly Known as Prince in the midst of a contractual dispute with the Warner Bros in 1993 before he used the name Prince again in 2000. "Cha Cha Slide" by DJ Casper, "Whoomp! (There It Is)" by Tag Team, "My Boo" by Ghost Town DJ, "What Is Love?" by Haddaway, "Ride the Train" by Quad City DJ's, "The Macarena" by Los Del Rio, "Mambo No. 5" by Lou Bega, and "Electric Boogie" by Marcia Griffiths are considered to be one of the party hits that you listen in schools, parties, weddings, or other events.