Ten

It was now very dark and frosty. The wind moved the saturated cloud smoothly, obstructing the rays from the moon, except for the flashing of the lightening that emerged within intervals.
Mangal had watched the cabin for almost one hour, and saw no sign of life. It seemed there was nobody there as he had anticipated.

“Let me go and check the place out.” He whispered.
“I can’t stay here alone.”
“Okay, come with me.”

He did not put on the flashlight, but firmly held the gun. They snuck towards the cabin. It was not locked. He hesitated before he pushed the wooden door open.
They went into the room before he put on the flashlight. 
“Good.” He said at once as he saw groceries.

He began to pack them into a sack randomly. She helped him. They worked so fast without a word.
He sent a beam of light round the room. He was not surprised to see a camping tent. It was folded.
“We must leave. I think we have enough. I hope we should be back home by tomorrow.” He said.
She felt a wind of bliss hit her as she thought of her children and husband. She could not wait to see them again.

“It seems they left in a hurry.” She said.
“Shhh….” He said at once and put off the flashlight. “I heard something.”
She listened.
“It sounds like the sound of a bike.” She said.

“It is!” He said. “Let us leave here, fast!”
He carried the sack while she carried the pack of camping tent. They ran out of the cabin. They had barely left when strong beams of light emerged coupled with roaring of bike engines.

They knew there was no chance of leaving at that moment.
“Come here.”
They hid behind  thick shrubs.

Three bikes appeared with two men on each. The men seemed to be armed. Mangal could not recognize any of them but guessed they were Sabr’s men.
“Check the cabin!” One of them said, “the police may come at any time.”

“We cannot leave any exhibit.” Another man said and three of them rushed into the cabin.
They came out just five minutes later.
“Someone was here.” One of the man said. “A tent and some provisions are missing.”
“That means…they are close-by. We might find them if we try.”

Beeba began to shiver. She knew if these men saw them, it was going to be the end for them.
“We do not have the time.” Another man said.
“I don’t think they called the police. This is the only place with service.”
“That reminds me, did you remove the service enhancer?”

“I will go for it.” Another man said.
“Disassemble it and tugged it out. This place is not safe anymore.”
“Let us look for them. Even if they call the police, it would be difficult to locate this place.”
Beeba was now shaking more than ever.
“We don’t need them. Mallam is still negotiating with her husband. He does not know that they escaped. We may get the money.”

Mangal saw one of the men going to disassemble the so-called service enhancer.
He quickly turned, using his bogy to obscure the light of the phone, before he wrote a text: I escaped. I am still lost. Don’t pay them.
“Send it to your husband.”

It was after she sent it she felt something cold on her legs. She looked down and saw it. It was a snake.
She screamed.
Mangal who saw it did something very brave. He grabbed the snake by the neck and knew it could do no harm at that point.
But the screaming had attracted the criminals.

Mangal  flung the snake away, fired a shot and shouted, “ Stay right there!  It is the police.”
Mangal  knew he had to act fast but not before bullets were sent to them. He grabbed Beeba and pushed her down and they rolled on the grass.
That move saved her life.

Bang! Bang!
Mangal fired more shots and he knew he got one of them.
The criminals were confused. Was it really the police? If it was, then they would be a bunch of them. They could not risk it. They made sure they carried the man who was shot. They mounted their bikes and escaped.