Eighteen

“I don’t understand what you are talking about. An eye witness saw it happen.” Adam said.
“I know what you are talking about. Firstly, I want you to forgive me. I really hurt you and I feel so chastened. You don’t deserve it Adam.”

“Leena you have done nothing wrong for all I know. I just want to know where you are and why you are there.”
Mufty stood up and went out. He wanted to give her room for privacy.
“I was not kidnapped. I met someone who needed help and I had to help him….”
“Him?”

“Hmmm…yes.”
“What do you mean? What kind of help?”
“It is a private issue. I just need a favour from you. Please do not tell my parents this. Just tell them I called you and told you that I have escaped….” She said this but remembered that she was not sure if they could make it out of this place alive. “But we are still finding our way out here.”
“This does not make sense to me. Are you saying you are out there with a man? A  man that is your non-muharam? You have left since yesterday.”

“What are you insinuating? That I am sleeping with a man?”
“No.” He detected the note of anger in her voice. Yes, he had that feeling but he was not going to tell her that. How could a responsible girl leave her house with the pretence of being kidnapped to go and save a ‘he’?
“Wallahi it not what you think.”

“Okay, now that you have saved him, are you coming back?”
“It is a long story. I did not tell you that I have saved  him. I don’t know if I can save him. I just need a favour from you. Please let us postpone the wedding…..”
“What?”

“I am confused. I know what I am doing or saying would not make sense to anyone….”
“Thank God you admit it.”
“I don’t even what is driving me to do it. I would have insulted any girl doing what I am doing. I am being foolish and annoying but I can’t help it. Adam, please do not be angry with me…..”
“Just tell me in a single word. Are you breaking up with me? Have you fallen in love with ‘him’?”
Leena hesitated.

She was not sure if it would work out with Mufty. She did not know even he would be accepted. She hoped she was not making a mistake. The best thing for her to have done is tell Adam no and go on with the marriage plans.
This was the most difficult question she had ever being asked.

“No, Adam. I am not breaking up with you. You have been one of the nicest person I have met. I have no reason to hurt you intentionally. My heart just happens to be pulling me. I just want us to pray about it. may Allah chose what is best for us…..”
“Just a few weeks to our wedding?”

“Are you saying because it is just a few weeks left, we don’t need prayers?’
He took in a deep breath.
“No, we need prayers but……you have not answered me. are you breaking up with me?”
“No.”
“Are we going on with the wedding?”

“I don’t know. May Allah chose what is best for us.”
“Hmmmm….Leena, I am not against your tauheed today and yes, that is a general prayer but let me tell you something as a man. When  a girl is not hyper or interested in marrying you, she becomes full of tauheed and you cannot challenge her because it is tauheed but deep down, you know she is no more interested. If you know you are no more interested, please tell me.”

“I did not say I am no more interested. I just need more time.”
“Hmmmm….more time? Leena. Do you love me?”
There was a pause.
“I don’t know. I don’t hate you. I like you. You are a nice person.”

“Hmmm…I do understand your answer. You are twenty-four, right and I am thirty-one. I think we do understand each other but let me give you time to think about it. I will give you three days. Meanwhile, I have been round many police stations, written statements and looked for you all over. The ATOF Captain have been all over me. What do you want me to tell them?”
She paused, confused. She had nothing against Adam. He was a nice guy, handsome, caring and had the qualities many girls would love. He had passed the test, and her parents accepted him. They knew his family, his job and character.