Twelve

The call was from Beeba. She needed to see him urgently in her office. He did not ask what it was. He boarded a cab and went there immediately.
He was directed to her new office and he knew at once she had really stepped up.
“ I am sorry for the emergency call.”
“It is cool to be out of the house.”

“Please sit down.”
He sat down.
“I have a problem.”
Mangal gave her that look of you-have-got-my-attention.

“I have been assigned to supervise our importation schedule for the next three months. It is a very hectic job but the allowance is big. Besides, I do not have a choice….”she went on to explain the details of how the job is to be carried out. Mangal wondered at the back of his mind why she was telling him this. “But the problem is this…..it is not here in kano. Our head office is in Port- Harcourt 
but this assignment is going to take place in Lagos.”

“Whoa.”
“I told my husband about it. I am a married woman and going to spend three months in Lagos is just not okay with me.”
“I understand.”

“I wish he could come with me but he also has a job. Even though things are not too rosy for him but it keeps us going. I am sorry to say this but I do support the family a lot because he owes a bank and he lost some goods. That means he cannot come with me.

Even if he could come with me, what about the kids? It’s not like I am being transferred   from here so the kids cannot go with me to start a new school just for three months. I am really confused.
So I thought of something. I don’t know if you will be able to assist me.”
“Go on, Please.”

“I will only stay for a week and you help me out. I talked to my superior. All he wants is to get the job done. I will be coming within intervals to sign some documents and see how things are moving.
The company will pay for my accommodation in a hotel. That means you will stay there. When I come, I will have to pay for where I will lodge from my pocket. That

Means I will not like to be staying long. These are expensive hotels. I will also pay you of course. I am offering you one two hundred thousand a month.
That is not much for an oil company but that is from my allowance and you must understand that I also need money.”

He nodded.
“I will give you time to think about it.”
He grinned.
“Firstly, you know I will always help you out.”
“I know right. You have always done that.”

“Secondly, I am jobless so this is an opportunity to have a job for three months.”
“Yes, and who knows if you will get a job here?”
“I pray so. I am in. The hotel bill, will you be given the money to pay or they will pay directly?”
“Why do you ask?”

“If they are giving you the money, just give it to me so I can get a cheaper hotel and keep the change.”
She laughed.
“No, Mangal. They would just provide accommodation. They won’t give me the money.”
He smiled. “I grab.”

That was how the journey to Lagos started. One week later, they were in Lagos.
The hotel was a five star hotel. This company was nothing compared to the plastic company. Room 107 was reserved for her. Mangal took it while she lodged into another room which was just three doors from Room 107. They settled in and she began to brief him in details.

The next day, he accompanied her to the Lagos Office where she reported officially. She introduced Mangal to the branch manager who had been briefed by her boss.
She signed the necessary papers and they went back to the hotel. The next day, the job started and she was there to see the kick-off.

She knew Mangal was capable and reliable.
“This is one hundred and twenty thousand naira thousand naira.” She had given Mangal that night. “The management gives feeding allowance. I think you should have it. I am not saying that is all they gave me.”
He giggled.