Chapter 16

I woke up instantly. I heard a gun shot. Right outside my room. I got up from my bed and walked slowly to my door. I didn't bother turning on the lamp just in case someone was on the Helicarrier that isn't supposed to be here. I turned on the flashlight app on my phone.

I put my hand on the doorknob and turned it slowly. I opened it just a peek but slammed it closed when I heard another gun shot. I went over to my desk and grabbed my gun belt and put it around my waist. I walked back to my door and opened it big enough to peek my head out.

I turned my head to the left. Nothing. I looked over to the right. Nothing. Nothing but darkness. I opened my door and walked outside. I put my phone to my chest. I walked to my left and flashed the light around the big room with all the computers.

There was three computers left, unharmed. All the others were smashed and on the floor. Along with two men. I rushed to one of the man's side and knelt down beside him. He was covered in a pool of blood. I put my ear to his chest and checked for a heartbeat.

Pump........pump

Good. A heartbeat, but very slow. I ran to the other man. I checked for a heartbeat. Nothing. Five seconds later, I heard a heartbeat. Thank god. Then, the man's chest lifted up and down. A full minute passed. It didn't lift up again. Oh no. I did CPR on him. Please let this work. Please!

But it didn't.

"I'm so sorry." I whisper to the dead body.

Then, suddenly, I heard a door being banged on. A gun shot. And a scream. I had no choice but to leave the man that had a slow heartbeat. I could not let other people die. I ran to the sound where I heard the banging. I still had my phone in one hand and I took one gun in the other hand.

Then the banging was farther than the first set of banging I heard. I ran in a hallway to the sound. I saw light a few feet away from me. But it's not from my phone. I run forward towards the light. When I finally get there, I realize the lights from a room.

Afraid what I'm going to find inside, I look. It's a woman on the floor. She's been shot in the shoulder. She's still alive. When she realizes I'm here, looking at her, she looks at me. She's very pretty. She has blond hair tied up in a ponytail. Her face, though, looks like she's been beat up.

"I'm sorry, I have to go before anyone else gets hurt. I have to leave you." I say sadly to her.

But she dosen't look like she's going to beg me to stay. Instead, she smiles. "Go, I'll be fine. Go help them."

I smile weakly to her and ask, "Do you know who's attacking?"

She nods. "It's the Skrulls."

______

I've been running for what seems like forever. My feet hurt and my phone's about to die. The banging stopped, but now there's more gun shots and more screaming. I found two more dead bodies and I couldn't help them. I had to find the Skrulls.

I keep running. But then I bump into someone and fall hard to the ground. I hear a groan. The figure stands up and it looks like it holds a hand out to help me up. But I can't trust it unless I know who it is. I shine my light at the figure. I sigh in relief when I see who it is. I grab his hand and he pulls me up.

"Thanks." I say.

"Why are you thanking me? I was the one that ran into you." Clint says.

"Oh, right. Well, your gonna pay." I say while we both chuckle.

"So you know who we're up against?" He asks.

"Yup." I say, "You know where they are?"

"Nope. I was hoping it was this way," Clint says as he points his finger the direction I was running in. "But it's not. That's why I was running in the opposite way as you."

I look confused. "Wait, it's not this way? But I heard banging and gun shots and screaming."

"Oh, that was why I thought they were that way. But it's not. It's the other agents." He replies.

"Are you sure? 'Cause-"

"Yes, I'm sure. Now come on, we have to go this way." Clint interrupts me. What is wrong with him? Why won't he believe me?

"But I just came that way. There's no Skrulls there." I say.

"Well there's no Skrulls that way either. Let's go." Clint says grabbing my arm and pulling me the way I came. I don't trust him. This is not Clint.

I jerked my arm out of his grasp. "I'm, going this way."

"But, we're-"

"You do what you want. I'm going this way." I repeat.

"What? You don't trust me?" He asks.

"As a matter of fact, I don't." I reply.

Just then, Clint brings up his bow and pulls out an arrow. He aims at me.

"What did you do to Clint?" I ask.

"I am Clint." He says.

"If you are Clint, then you would'nt be aiming an arrow at me." I say.

I don't trust this Clint. He is not the real Clint. And then it hits me. This isn't him, this is a Skrull. But what if it isn't? What if this is the real Clint? But it can't be. He would'nt aim his bow at me. Well, I'll just have to trust my instincts.

Then, I pull out my gun. I aim at his leg and pull the trigger. I turn and run as fast as I could. I look back while I run. He screams in pain but dosen't lose focus on me. He let's the arrow slide and I jerk my head to the side. The arrow nearly cut my ear off. It just touched the tip of it.

I run away. The Skrulls probably took over the Helicarrier. The Earth for all I knew. I just ran away, and I have one thing on my mind: Trust no one.

Author's Note: Hey guys. I just wanna say please comment and vote if you are reading this book and you like it. I need to know if people are reading this, so PLEASE comment and vote! Thanks!