Decisions

Rin's POV

"Now we have to decide who is going to be entered into which categories for Nationals" I said to the team.

"Sir yes sir" the team chanted back

We slowly made our way deciding who would compete in each event. "Now who would like to compete in the 200m freestyle?" I asked 

A couple of the younger members of the team raised there's hands but I looked at Sousuke who showed no intention of volunteering.

"Sousuke what about you?" I asked confused

"I'm good Rin" he replied shrugging

I gave him a look but he just shrugged again. Why didn't he want to race?

Time Skip

Sousuke and I walked back to our room in silence but once I had shut the door I turned to Sousuke and immediately questioned "Why don't you want to race butterfly?"

"Just not feeling it" he said casually 

"Not feeling it? Sousuke butterflies your best stroke" I said slightly pissed

"What can I tell you I just don't feel like it" he said climbing onto the top bunk grimacing slight as he did so.

I wanted to talk more about the subject but Sousuke was already putting his earbuds in I sighed and muttered "damn you" 

Time Skip

Sousuke's POV

I honestly don't know why I didn't race in then 200m butterfly maybe because I was subconsciously trying to stop my shoulder from getting more hurt. Or maybe it was because I wasn't ready to race Rin and for my dream to be over.

But as I sat in the stands and watched Rin race the 200m butterfly I realised that after all those years I've just been trying to keep up with him.

"Yeah Matsuoka's number 1" the team chanted as Rin placed first. I smiled slightly expecting nothing less from him.

After awhile Rin was getting ready for his 100m freestyle against Haru.

I watched as they bother dived into the water. Samezuke cheered for Rin but I watched and muttered "kill it Rin. Come on"

I silently cheered Rin on knowing that's he could beat Nanase. But as they reached the final lap and both finished Haru won. 

I sighed. Rin was less than a second behind.

I looked down at where Rin and Haru stood. Rin was smiling and they were talking happily I felt my heart pang painfully. 

I stood up abruptly and walked away. Why the hell did I think I could do this?

Time Skip

Rin and I stood by the coach. I lent against it and asked "Seriously dude 0.2 of a second what gives?"

Rin just shrugged and replied "I don't know what to tell you he got the drop on me today his speeds better so much better I don't know how long he's spent practicing. Son of a bitch is getting on my nerves."

I looked at him as he turned away then got ready to follow. "Tomorrows a new day. Last day of the relay you ready?" He asked something in his voice I didn't recognise.

"Hell yeah" I said

Rin just smiled and walked into the coach.

I paused realising that tomorrow could be the last time I swim.

I stood up and walked away from the coach needing a little time to myself. I sat down on some steps not to far away from the coach.

I thought back to when Rin and I had swum our first relay together back in grade school. We had lost because of me I just crumbled under the pressure I knew how much swimming in a relay meant to Rin but I failed him.

"Sousuke?" I heard Rin say walking over to me "we need to get back and debrief asap we should probably hurry the bus is about to leave we still have a lot of racing to do tomorrow."

"Yeah I know" I said standing up and walking past him.

"Is there something on your mind?" He asked concern lacing his voice 

I just smiled and said "just a blast from the past"

"Huh?" Rin said

"I'm kidding" I said not wanting to get into the subject right now.

I walked to the coach and heard Rin's footsteps following close behind me. Once we were sat down I could feel Rin staring at me trying to get me to talk to him.

Time Skip

Rin's POV

I was sitting on the bed thinking about who to put in for the relay team. "Hey hurry up everyone's waiting for you" Sousuke said coming into our room

"Something the matter?" He asked when I didn't answer I remained silent and Sousuke sighed.

"Not that it's my call but after the crap Osumi needs to be benched" he said shrugging.

"Yeah yeah I hear ya" I said getting up. We walked together in a comfortable silence I kept glancing at him worried about what he was hiding.

I stood in front of the team "Osumi" 

"Sir"

"Momo" 

"Sir"

"I know you both have strong feelings about the relay but unfortunately only one of you can do it. After looking at the results from today's races I had to make some tough choices...." I paused

Then looked up "Momo your on"

I watched Osumi and Momo bicker I smile don't to myself then said the line up for tomorrow looking at Sousuke who seemed preoccupied.

Sousuke's POV

I was walking towards Rin and I's room but then saw Ai sitting on the steps. "You're in the way" I said bluntly.

"Sorry about that" he apologised moving to the side I walked down the steps but then stopped as I heard him cry.

I turned around as Ai stuttered "I-I can't believe I actually let an under class man beat me"

"You really wanna be in the relay that badly huh?" I asked 

"It's only natural" he replied as if it was obvious.

"What is?" I asked keeping my cold appearance 

"The moment I laid my eyes on him Rins  been my hero. To tell you the truth when I started swimming I couldn't have cared less about medley relay" Ai said

"But now I realise there's a lot more to it than that. This past year I've had the chance to witness first hand how much Rin truly cares about it. Swimming with him inspires me" He continued.

I tended I could relate all these years I had just been trying to keep up with Rin. "I want to make him proud... what sucks is this was my big chance to make it happen but after this summer I will never get another one" he said sadly.

"And who exactly decided that?" I said turning around. "If you wanna swim with him that badly then you figure out a way to make that dream a reality. Don't limit yourself kid" I said then left.

I walked away with one thought in my mind Rin inspired everyone he swam with. And I wanted to make him proud.