Realisations

Rin's POV

I climbed out the pool in search for Sousuke. I walked into the changing rooms trying to find him but couldn't I was about to go check outside but Nitori came rushing in with Momo saying "Rin you're race is gonna start any minute you've got to get ready"

I sighed "Yeah yeah I'm coming" I said where the hell was Sousuke? He wouldn't miss my race would he?

I thought back to last night when we talked like normal for the first time in ages. I couldn't stop thinking about what he said I wanted to swim with you Rin. I couldn't imagine swimming without Sousuke. I wanted to talk to him.

But right now I needed to focus on winning my race and making it to nationals

Time Skip

I stormed into the locker room "Haru!" I demanded walking over to him and grabbing his arm "What the hell was that? Are you out of your mind?" I asked annoyed

"Like it's any of your business" he said back angrily

"What?! Do you realise how many college scouts just saw you tank?" I snarled

"Why should I care about them? Who are they to me? What is any of this to me? You think I do this for the crowds or to be able to say hey look at my kick ass time" he asked getting more and more pissed I gasped

"Why do you do it then?" I asked coldly

"I swim for myself and my friends" he said still annoyed

"Then you owe it to them any yourself to give a damn. At least give them the benefit of the doubt. You have something here if you just take it seriously for once in your life. You think your friends want to stand there and watch you piss away your future?!" I said grabbing his other arm

He broke out of my grip and slammed the lockers "No one asked you to care about my future . What future? What is it you think I have? This is my life not yours I'm not you! I'm never going to be you!" He shouted I was shocked.

"Maybe if you weren't so focused on yourself you would have noticed Sousuke's shoulder! Some friend you are" Haru snarled coldly walking away.

What? What the hell was he talking about? Sousuke's shoulder?

"Haru?" I called after him.

What the hell did he know about Sousuke?

I needed to ask Haru what he meant. Sousuke's shoulder?!

I rushed out of the locker room desperately searching for either Haru or Sousuke. "Men's 100 metre free style finals starting next"

Crap.

I gotta go. Damn it Sousuke. I had to focus.

Sousuke's POV

I was sitting in the locker rooms trying to calm down the inflammation of my shoulder. The deep purple bruise radiated and it burnt painfully.

The cold spray stung as I sprayed it I gasped in pain. "Sousuke what are you doing you're gonna miss Rin's race?" Nitori asked rushing into the locker room.

I quickly covered my shoulder "hey what's that? Everything okay?" Nitori questioned worriedly "yeah everything's fine don't worry about it" I said coldly walking away without even looking back.

I was gonna go watch Rin's race but stopped halfway down the hallway. I stared out the window what was the point? I just sat down on a bench and stared at the ground.

I knew Rin would win so there was no need to watch his race. I just sat there.

It's over.

Rin's POV

As soon as I'd finished my race I rushed to the changing room and flung on my tracksuits and team jacket I ran around the building desperately searching for Haru or Sousuke.

"Rin?" I heard a small voice say as I was running down the hallway.

I turned around to see Ai standing there. "What is it Ai I'm kinda busy right now?" I said scanning the hallway for any sign of Haru or Sousuke

"W-well it's...it's about Sousuke" Ai said catching my attention. "What? What about him?" I asked desperately "Well I was trying to find him so he could watch your race but when I went in he was using a cold spray is he okay?" Ai asked concern lacing his voice

"When I asked him about it he said 'it was nothing' I was just wandering if you knew what was going on?" Ai said clearly worried.

The cold spray? The painkillers? The missed practices? His swimming? It couldn't be. I needed to find Sousuke.

"Rin?" Ai asked again

"It's okay Ai I'll explain everything later but I gotta go sorry" I said already running down the hallway.

I finally stopped running as I was out of breath. I continued to walk down the hallway and finally found him. Sousuke was sitting on a bench looking at his feet he looked lost in thought.

I approached slowly "Sousuke what's wrong? Did something happen? Nitori was worried about you" I said trying to sound casual.

"Everything's fine" he said dryly

"You were weird this morning when we practiced in the sub pool" I said sitting down on the other side of the bench "you just upped and took off"

"Don't worry about it" he said still looking at the ground

"Look man when you miss practice like that I'm gonna worry" I said. Why was he still hiding it from me? "You wanna tell me where you were"

"Come on dude you gotta talk to me here" I said looking at him trying to force him to meet me gaze

"I JUST SAID IT WAS NOTHING!" he shouted.

I sighed getting up and walking to the vending machine I put in a few coins and bought a soda. I stared at it for a moment then said "Sousuke incoming"

I threw the can and Sousuke reached out to catch it but then gripped his shoulder in pain from the sudden movement he gasped in pain. The can fell to floor the sound echoing down the empty hallway.

"Your shoulders in pretty bad shape isn't it?" I said already knowing the answer. I tried to sound as casual as possible desperate to remain calm for Sousuke.

I saw Sousuke's eyes widen in shock but he said nothing. I walked over to him and said "let me see it" I lifted my arm up trying to drag off his jacket "Piss off" he said angrily grabbing my arm we fought until his jacket slid down.

I gasped. Sousuke looked away ashamed. His shoulder was clearly bad it was inflamed and purple "when did this happen?" I asked

"This morning. It's really not as bad as it looks" he said trying to cover up

"Oh come on you and I both know it didn't happen this morning" I said pissed. Sousuke sighed but then smiled "I guess I can't slip anything by you can I?"

"The truth is I injured it about two years ago pushed myself to hard in training" he said leaning back.

"But you were already being scouted why push it when you knew what college you were going to?" I asked confused

"Cause I didn't I lied no one scouted me" He said

"Can we get out of here?"