Practice

Sousuke's POV

I walked back to my dorm after having a very long doctors appointment. I sighed loudly my shoulder aching from the stress that today had bring. I knew Rin was gonna be pissed as I missed practice with no explanation but if he found out... I shivered at the thought.

I passed the pool and heard the familiar splash of water I glanced in and saw Nitori. I thought about how much Nitori wanted to swim with Rin and in some ways he reminded me of myself.

I don't know what came over me but I started to walk into the pool maybe it was because I knew my shoulder was going to give out soon or maybe I was becoming more like Rin but for some reason I said to Nitori "your forms a mess because you're to tired"

"Do you mean you were watching me?" Nitori asked surprised

"You won't get any better just by swimming as often and as hard as you can your body needs time to heal" I said. Wow am I a hypocrite.

"I'm sorry it's just that I'm one of the slowest people on the team so if I want to compete I have to push myself harder than everyone else" Nitori said sounding guilty

"If you go at it to hard you won't be able to do the things you're good at." I told him. Trust me I would know. "I'll watch you."

I told Nitori I would coach him for the rest of practice.

"You wanna swim with Rin right?" I asked kind of already knowing the answer.

"Yes!" He said happily

Rin's POV

I walked down the hall of the swimming pool carrying a snack I bought from my walk I had went on to keep my mind off Sou had come back from wherever he had been. I heard the sound of the water splashing and knew that Nitori would be practicing.

Poor kid every time I drop by he's always practicing alone.

But as I glanced in I was surprised to see Sousuke standing over Ai watching him swim and giving him pointers. "Sousuke" I murmured out loud.

I smiled to myself. He really has changed. I put down the snack and drink I had just bought and left them by the side of the pool knowing that Sousuke would know it was from me as it was my favourite cereal bar.

I then turned and left. If Sousuke thought that just because I gave him my snack everything that happened earlier was forgotten he was wrong as soon as he got back to the dorm he was going to tell me where the hell he was today.

Sousuke's POV

"Okay Nitori that's enough for today okay? Go shower and head back to your dorm" I told Nitori as he thanked me for spending my evening coaching him.

I watched him leave and then turned back to the pool. Was this really the end of my swimming career? No matter what I was going to swim with Rin and not let him down. Even if it meant I could never swim again I just wanted Rin to be proud of me.

I walked towards the door about to grab my towel when I saw that lying on my towel was a cereal bar and a bottle of water. I picked it up knowing that Rin had left it for me as it was his favourite cereal bar but I knew as soon as I got back to the dorm Rin would be bugging me about where I was today.

I sighed knowing what was coming.

Rin's POV

I paced around the room waiting for Sousuke to come back. Finally, the door opened and Sousuke walked in looking tired and stressed.

We locked eyes and stared at each other for a moment waiting for the other to speak first. I eventually gave in and said "Why the hell did you miss practice?"

"I told you I was busy" he said shrugging.

"You gonna tell me what with? Or are you gonna make me play twenty questions?" I asked getting pissed.

"I said I was busy Rin just leave it" He said moving to climb up the ladder. "NO. Not this time" I said getting really annoyed.

"I'm sick of you hiding things from me we are meant to be best friends and now you are keeping secrets from me" I said angrily. I pulled him down from the ladder preventing him from climbing up to his bunk he hissed loudly and winced away.

"Sou?" I questioned confused by his strange behaviour. "It's nothing Rin just let me go to bed" he said dully.

"No. Tell me where you went today?" I demanded

"None of your business" Sousuke said getting angry as well. "It is my business I'm the captain and you missed practice" I retorted bitterly.

"Whatever 'Captain' it won't happen again" Sousuke said angrily

"Sousuke regionals are just around the corner you can't just miss practice as your captain I'm telling you that you gotta take it more serious... but as your friend I want to know what's wrong?" I said taking a step towards him

"Well Rin clearly being my friend and captain isn't working. Just focus on yourself I don't need you all over me I can handle myself" Sousuke said exhausted I looked up at him and saw the bags under his eyes.

"Sou?" I said softly my tone changing completely "I'm worr-" I tried to say but was cut off  by Sousuke saying coldly "Leave it. I'm going to bed"

I watched as Sousuke put in his earbuds and lay down on his bed. He's hiding something big and I don't know how to help him.

Hey Readers thank you so much for reading Depths.Aza_chan_reads and I have written a free! One shot book please read it. It has lots of different ships and requests are open.

Thanks so much for reading hope you're liking the story so far.

OrangeMeerkat