Ch 23- It Never Lasts

~Beth's POV~

I stomped over to the room next door and knocked. There was complete silence for a couple moments, before I heard shuffling and the door creek open.

The second the door was wide enough for me to squeeze through I jumped into his arms. "Beth? What's wrong," he asked. For some reason I just wanted to savor his voice. His accented, raspy voice.

I didn't want to answer. Everything was wrong, well the fact that my sister doesn't accept us is the worst. I really thought that she would, despite the voice in the back of my mind that told me she wouldn't.

I attempted to answer, but it came out in sobs that were muffled into his vest. "Di' ya talk to Maggie," he asked, wrapping his strong arms around my back.

I nodded into his shirt, pulling back and sniffling. "She says Daddy wouldn't have wanted us together, but I know he would," I was finally able to choke out.

He nodded, and rubbed my back. "It's okay. As long as ya know he would've been fine wit' it," he whispered into my blond hair. I nodded into his chest, breathing deeply and panting. "Ya know I love ya right," he said in a soft loving tone.

"Ya know I love ya too, right," I whispered back, forcing a smile and pulling back to look him in the eye. He has a smile on his face, and he slowly leans in to kiss me.

A soft loving kiss, leaking emotions of love and passion. We were interrupted by a gasp. We pulled apart and saw Carol standing in the doorway.

"I-I..." She stuttered for a bit before actually talking," We have to leave. Now." Her voice was urgent, her usual tone, despite a slight shakiness.

"Why what happened," I asked, pulling back from Daryl trying to ignore the fact that my face was probably bright red.

"Walkers... A-a lot of em," she stated,"We um... We can't find Michone and Carl. Went out hunting. Rick was gonna go look for em, but I told him to wait for you too."

"What are we gonna do," Daryl asked. When I turned to look at him I saw his crossbow clutched very tight in his hands.

"Bring supplies from downstairs upstairs, and stay in the top couple floors until the horde passes. Can't risk leaving this place," she said walking off.

"WE CAN'T. DARYL! Remember what happened last time we tried that," I shouted. He stood still for a moment. His mouth slightly agape, like he was trying to figure out what to say.

"Got no choice. C'mon gotta find Michone and Carl," he muttered running off. I took out my pistol and followed behind him.

~Daryl's POV~

I ran down the hall quickly, checking behind me every now and then to make sure Beth was following me. We passed people taking supplies upstairs. At one point I saw Ty running by, sweat dripping down his face.

He stopped, giving us a small nod before running off again. Beth caught up with me, and was now struggling to keep up with my pace.

We finally made it down into the front to see Rick pacing nervously. "Finally, c'mon guys hurry up," he groaned, running off into the forest.

I followed behind him, he was at least ten feet in front of us. We walked around for I don't know how long. "Where are the walkers coming from," Beth finally shouted ahead to Rick, breaking the silence.

He turned around and pointed to the right of us. I didn't notice until now that he had grown a shaggy beard, with tints of grey. It made me wonder how old he was. I mean, it's been going on for a good five years now, maybe six. He seemed older than me when we found him. I was at least thirty, can't really remember. Does that mean he is forty now?

"Watch the right, Beth," I murmured to her.

"Alright," she smiled, obviously forced, trying to lighten the mood.

"Any idea where they were hunting near," I asked. Then it hit me. Why wasn't I asked to go hunting? I mean, I am known as the hunter, or at least that's what I thought.

"They said they found a trail down the mountain about a mile. Saw a lot of tracks there," Rick called back, and he began weaving through the trees. He looked nervous, and I understand. Seems like Carl and Michone are pretty close to him. I mean duh, Carl is his son, but Michone.

I always wondered if something was going on between them, but I always shook it off. I mean, he had Lori, loved her. Carl and Lil Ass Kicker are all he's got left of her. Maybe Michone is his way of starting over. My thoughts were inherited by Beth.

"Found something, some tracks," she yelled. I jogged back to her, and kneeled down to where she was. There were two sets of prints, shoes, in the mud. Looks like two different boots, one slightly larger than the other.

"Jackpot," I murmured," Went this way. Nice find Beth." She smiled at me and Rick walked off where the footsteps led.

"Learned from the best," she grinned then followed Rick. I was about two follow too, but was interrupted by two strong arms gripping my vest, and then falling on top of my back.

I attempted to swing my crossbow back, but failed. "BETH. RICK," I yelled. I heard shuffling, then a sound of raw meat squishing. The weight on my back was then lifted.

I turned to see Rick and Beth standing behind me. "Thanks," I panted. They both nodded.

"They are coming," Rick whispered, pointing to where I now heard groans originating.

Then I saw it. A long line of walkers. At least thousands of them. "I don't think we are gonna be able to stay," I whispered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GUYS. JUST A COUPLE MORE CHAPTERS!!! EEEEEEEEEEP. Sad but exciting. How was this chapter lovelias🌺? I lub u all and all your feedback! Thanks for sticking with me. Byyyyeeeee 🚶💀