-Nine-

8 April 2017, Sunday

------

"X, is my hair on point? And is my shirt crisp?" Jon asked me for the umpteenth time as we stood outside the animal shelter.

"Jon, you're so dashing that even I'm turning gay for you already," I replied sarcastically.

"Be serious X, I have a lot at stake here!" he punched my shoulder. "But do you think it will work out? Will Diana think I'm weird? Will she..."

"Jon, just be your usual cocky self. It'll be just fine," I cut him off. "Hey, Diana's here."

I waved to her to grab her attention, feeling Jon tensing up upon realising her presence. Her hair was up in a messy top bun and she had a long-sleeved blouse and shorts on. She looked so beautiful; no, I reminded myself, I wasn't good enough for her.

"Hi Diana, this is Johnathan, you probably know him as captain of the football team. And one of the guys on the honour roll. And a hot shot amongst the girls," I tried to cram in several lowkey compliments for him. "And Jon, this is Diana," I introduced the two, trying to ease out whatever tension there was in the air.

"H...Hii Dee...Diana, I...I'm Jon," Jon stared blankly at her as he tried to get the words out.

I guessed when it came to his crush, Jon wasn't as smooth as when he was around all the other girls. I guess that was why they called it a crush; it certainly crushed Jon.

Diana shook his hand, but awkwardness ensued when Jon made eye contact with her for a few seconds too long without saying anything.

"Okay, let's get going," I ushered the two in, desperately trying to break the ice.

------

"X, I don't think I can do this anymore," Jon tapped my shoulder.

"C'mon, don't be a wimp. It's hardly only been an hour of washing up poop-stained floors," I aimed the hose across the massive area.

"X, I'm allergic to cats," I turned off the hose and turned to a sight of bloodshot eyes and a watery nose.

"Wait, what? Why didn't you tell me when I asked you along?"

"I didn't want to ruin my chances," Jon hung his head.

Jon could be so stupid sometimes, despite his stellar academic performance.

"Alright, maybe you should get going. I'll figure something out again next time."

"Thanks man, you're a real bro," he proceeded to collect his belongings from the locker room.

"Jon, you're leaving?" Diana asked from the other end of the room where she was preparing the cat food.

"Yeah, he's got an appointment in the afternoon," I lied without blinking.

We said our goodbyes and Jon shot me a nod as he walked out the door.

"Hey X-man, your friend Jon's a little weird. He seemed like he couldn't get his words out when he spoke to me," Diana raised an eyebrow.

I scrubbed at the grime filled panels, "He's just a little shy, he's a gentle giant."

"Righttttt, you're not trying to matchmake us by any chance, are you?" Diana narrowed her eyes.