-Twenty One-

8 April 2017, Saturday

------

"Xave, you're home," Mum looked up from her weekly health magazine. Mum was always very dedicated towards serving her nursing profession via lifelong learning and all. "Were you out with Johnathan?"

"No Mum, I was with another friend," I went through the motions of sterilising my crutch tips before entering the house.

She didn't seem convinced at my answer. "Another friend? Are the both of you very close?" she probed. Mum knew that I didn't simply use my crutches with any Tom, Dick or Harry.

"Her name's Diana. We just got to know each other not too long ago," I kept my replies short.

"So it's a girl?" Mum asked the obvious. "Thank God, I was starting to think that I would be expecting a coming out confession from you soon..."

"Mum, I'm not having a crisis with my sexual orientation currently. Thank you for your concern," I deadpanned.

"Alright I know you hate my nagging, but just stay safe and responsible alright? And love that girl with all your heart and treat her right. You know that your teenage years don't come back once they are over."

I nodded, making my way to my room.

I didn't think that Mum would say that if she knew that I'd time travelled twice into the past.     

------

9 April 2017, Sunday

------

I was back at Westside alley again. The victory cries of gamblers echoed in the air and the graffiti on the walls was filled with symbols of the Blood Eagles. I passed a scantily dressed lady along the walkway, her boobs almost overflowing from her low-cut dress. I looked away immediately to avoid being deemed as a pervert but she threw me a flirtatious wink in the split second that we made eye contact. I didn't come here to spend a night, I came here for a mission, I had a purpose, I just couldn't remember what it was. But I knew my way in the alley, with all its confusing turns and all. Why did I come here? How did I know this place?

I remembered. I came here for Diana. I wanted to convince her to quit the Blood Eagles, and to start afresh. I wanted to tell her that it was never too late, for as long as she was willing to quit, it would be possible, and I would be there for her every step of the way. Then we could spend the rest of our lives together after that. Diana wouldn't have to die.

As I hurried down one of the longest turns, a dark figure approached from the end of the walkway. He had short black curly hair that complimented his dark skin and his dual sleeves of arm tattoos. Taking one last swig of his cigarette, he threw it to the ground, crushing it beneath his shoe. It was Tris. But he wasn't alone, he was flanked by two other men, whom I presumed were in the Blood Eagles too.

He didn't look too happy, I guess he wasn't here to welcome me. Considering the idea of a retreat at the back of my head, I turned to the opposite end of the alley. Three other members were approaching and closing in from that end as well. Great, I had walked right into a trap and had no escape. I racked my brain for ideas. I would definitely go for diplomacy; pitting myself against six gang members would be a death wish.

"Hey there bro, do you mind excusing me? I'm kind of in a rush," I waved to Tris, trying to establish amiability. I didn't want him thinking that I was itching for a fight or something.

"Nobody's your bro, boy. And no, we are not excusing you, because this turf happens to be ours," Tris sniggered. "Unhappy?! Then come and fight us!" he threw a fist up into the air.