-Thirteen-

12 April 2017, Wednesday

------

I was racing down a dark alley at full speed. It took me a moment to realise that I was running, I was sprinting, it was real! There was no pain, I had no inhibitions, nothing was holding me back; I was free! I wasn't doing a three-legged crutch run, neither did I have my prosthesis on. I had two legs, two healthy strong legs! The cold night wind was whipping in my face and I could feel the adrenaline coursing through my blood, pumping a limitless amount of energy through my body.

I was holding onto someone's hand; that person was running behind me. I turned and I saw Diana, her long flyaway hair streaming in the wind, her floral scent flooding my smell. She was laughing a laugh that I hadn't heard before, but it made me happy for some reason and I began to laugh along with her. I enjoyed her company, I liked being with Diana.

Out of the blue, gnarly tree branches began to spring up from nowhere, creeping up the walls of the alley and transforming into scythe claws within seconds. I pulled onto Diana's hand while I accelerated, but the tree branches were faster. They grabbed onto Diana swiftly and threatened to wrench her out of my grip.

She had a panicked look on her face and she screamed.

"Run X! They are here to get me!"

I wanted very much to scream but I couldn't find my voice somehow. Tugging hard on Diana's hand with the remnants of my energy, I was bent on holding onto Diana but the claws were too strong. I could only watch helplessly as I saw her limp figure disappearing down the alley...

"Xave, hurry up! You're going to be late for school!" Mum called out as she drummed on my bedroom door.

I jolted awake with a start, pulling myself up into a sitting position. I panted heavily, swiping away beads of sweat plastered on my forehead. What just happened back there? I looked down at my blanket and saw this familiar void where my non-existent lower leg was supposed to be under the sheets. It was a nightmare.

------

It was recess time again. On the 12th of April. I had to find Diana. I took a detour to the umbrella area and to the cheerleaders' bench where Susan and Tiffany frequented but there was no sign of her. She must be absent today. I tried convincing myself that perhaps Diana was sick or something, but my brain kept replaying the nightmare scene I had last night over and over again in my head relentlessly.

It was just a dream. Nothing more, nothing less. But I did know for a fact that Diana died on this day before, and that I couldn't relax until I was sure that she was fine.

"Hey X, what's up?" Jon leapt out at me as I made my way back to our seat so suddenly I spilled my piping hot green tea.

"Thanks Jon, scalding myself is probably the first thing I need right now," I dripped with sarcasm.

"Bro, are you okay? You're seldom so jittery during recess break. Have you been up to no good last night? Guilty conscience?" he raised his eyebrows.

I sighed. "I wish."

"Tell me what's wrong. I'll lend you a shoulder to cry on," he mocked as I set my tray on the canteen table. "Shit, that was damn cringey."

I rolled my eyes.

George and Aus were seated at our usual hangout bench, their trays of food before them. They were eyeing me with disapproval; we had an unsaid rule that we could only start eating after all of us got our food.

"Could you be any slower?" Aus complained as he dug into his bowl of noodles gluttonously.

"X, out with it. What's bothering you?" Jon probed.