What doesn't kill

The blood dripped. Falling from my bed onto the hard wooden floor. I panted,while my cuts healed. Standing, I began to stumble over toward my mirror. Looking into it I saw my right eye glowed it's ominous orange. While my left was a cold blue. All the wounds on my chest had closed up.

My door burst open, as a slim figure walking in obscured in shadows. It brought a torch to its face and I registered Aleru.

"Uri?" She said rushing to my side.

She looked over my body, the blood had disappeared for the most part.

"What was it?" She said calmly.

"Him" was all I could respond with, and she would know my meaning. Our nightly encounters had been rising in frequency recently, and I needed to figure out why.

I pulled myself up as I turned back and sat on my bed. Aleru looked to me, before coming to sit next to me. She put her hand to my bare chest, directly over where I had been stabbed in the fight.

I put my hand over hers, suddenly as she looks to my mismatched eyes.

"Sorry to have woken you" I said, holding her hand still. She simply smiles. Her beauty shining through in the faded light of my room.

"It's ok" she responds before I release her hand and she rises from my bed, and walks over to the door.

Turning around "Call me if you need anything Uri, otherwise I'll see you in the morning" she supplements before for I nod and she closes the door.

I sit for a while, contemplating the return to sleep, or going out to clear my head.

I decide the later as I rise again and walk to my closet. I pull open and take out one of my long coats, and a pair of boots.

I slide on the coat and boots, Im shirtless underneath. Walking to the stand to the side of my bed, I pick up my eye patch, before positioning it over my eye.

I push open my window,looking to the moon as it's light glazed over the town I occupy with Aleru. Named Vagrant's Landing as here are where a majority of bounty hunters, contract killers and psychiatric patients roam.

I close my windows behind me before I leap.

I land in a puddle, slightly splashing myself. I look to either said before walking. I continue straight down the road, the fading lights powered by magic flickered occasionally.

Arriving at the bounty board, which was adjacent to one of the towns many dive bars. Looking over the available distractions, a sharp pain erupt quickly began from my right eye.

I was forced onto my knees, holding my face and struggling against my vocal cords growing desire to burst. Removing my eyepatch and tossing it to the floor, I realized I couldn't see from the eye. I saw it's glow reflecting off the puddle covered floor, a magnificent orange light.

"What's with this light show freak?" I heard a voice called from behind me. It was gruff and slightly slurred.

I sniffed in air subtly in my pain, and smelled the alcohol that lingered in the air.

"Hey he's talking to you" another spoke, with a more wobbly tone.

The stinging still seared in my head, causing me to struggle to stand. There were 4 heartbeats surrounding me, they were all fairly labored, which indicated that those I heard weren't in the best shape.

"You should leave" I growled out in my pain, feeling my canines pierce my lower lip as I bit down against the pain.

"I've sent a worthy host to retrieve my stolen mark from you, he'll retrieve the power you are unworthy of" " I heard my fathers voice call in my head as the pain intensified.

I couldn't fight the pain this time as I began to scream, beating my head instinctively against the board in front of me. This futile effort to end the pain seemed to scare the hearts around me as their heartbeats seemed to intensify.

"Uri!" Aleru's sweet voice called to my ears, as I tried to look for her, before waves of pain surged again. I needed it to stop. I needed Aleru, I couldn't feel my body while the pain grew throughout.

I felt arms wrap around my back, as her soft body leaned on. Her warmth seemed to meld with my pain and begin to slowly soothe it.

When I had finished screaming, I had noticed that the heartbeats in the area had all receded. My breathing was loud and heavy as I felt Aleru's grasp soften around me.

After holding this for a minute she slowly pulled back. I slowly turned to face her as the glowing had died down, and the pain began receding.

Her soft face was covered in tears, as her amber eyes trembled and watered.

Wasting no time, I enveloped her in my hug, pulling her close to me. Her breathing was pained, and it brought me a unique sadness to see her hurting for me.

We leaned against the board, which was nearly shattered from my earlier battering.

"I'm sorry" was all she whispered while I held her tightly, listening to the rhythmic thumping change from its frantic beating to a more reserved pulsing.

I internally winced as the prospect of her taking the blame for the destructive nature of my life. She did nothing but make my life more bearable.

"Don't feel like this is your fault" I breathed calmly. I thought of the bastard who had sired me and how I would make sure to make him suffer.

" If anything your the reason I press on, A. Without you I would have tried to end the life many times over" I cooed whilst I wiped a tear from her face and gave her a small smile.

Her expression began to lighten up a bit, taking her hands to wipe away the moisture from her face.

"I'm sorry for putting you through this" I added while looking away to the vibrant crescent moon that looked far in the distance.

"I would do anything for you" she finally spoke sweetly as she looked at me with her renewed smile.

I nearly died at the thought, as thoughts raced through my head which I rapidly shot down before they were planted.

Shortly after she seemed to realize what she had said and began to slightly blush, which I only noticed with my enhanced vision.

"No matter what" she squeaked out, her blush practically glowing in the night.

I smirked childishly as I took her hand into mine.

"Let's go back to the inn" as said as I pulled her along.

" It's still considerably late, so let's see if we can get some sleep in before it's morning " I said not looking back.

"Yea we should" she whispered out coyly, her embarrassment heavily apparent. Her footsteps close behind mine.

The moons light beamed down on us faintly,as everything seemed darker around us.

"But can I ask for one thing?" I say, looking back to her as we arrive outside my window. Which was positioned about two stories above us.

She nods, her blushing having died down slightly, but her gaze was still mostly averted from mine.

"Can I sleep with you?" I ask as innocently as I could, my own embarrassment(which was something I barely registered) shot up.

Her face quickly turned as red as the blood the which coursed through her veins.