Ankus Born

Pain resonated through E as the burning sun peered through the grate in E's room and onto his scarred back. It had become more bareable due to the repeated exposure to the silver. Still, the pain was enough to yell out in agony.

E had come to expect this as a frequent punishment for his "misdeeds" in the coliseum above. But he couldn't care for the repercussions. He did what he had to.

"I'm sorry again Wolf" Delrin, the head exceutioner and punisher of the gladiators spoke solemnly as another lash scratched itself into E's back. He bit back the pain. Blood dripped from his lip onto the now blood stained floor.

The man let off two more lashes before stopping. E's legs felt tired of the pain and the previous fight. Delrin quickly undid the chains that held E facing the wall.  He quickly faltered, almost falling to his knees whilst his breathing grew ragged.

The executioner threw a cloth onto E's bed before turning and promptly leaving.

His blood was a prominent taste in his mouth, his sharp teeth having cut his tongue a few times. E slowly pulled himself upward and let his hand lean on the wall. His claws, which appeared while restrained due to the pain dug  into the stone wall, like they had many times before.

He made it to his bed before taking a seat and picking up the cloth and lightly tapping his scarred back. The stinging was still apparent but slowly numbing as his body began to fix the exposed and raw flesh.

E's clawed hand returned to its more human shape as the nails lost their dark color and length. The gray fur and the size of the hand also receded.

He allowed his body to recuperate as he slowly and carefully allowed himself to lay to his side, his eyes beginning to drop as the once searing sun began to disappear from his vision.

*****

E opened his eyes, as he pulled himself upright on his hard cotton covered slab. He was suprised that he had actually gotten used to the cold uncomfortable surface he slept on. Considering he'd endured it for around 17 years it made sense.

As E twisted he scanned the room, the blood was still on the floor but had taken a darker color due to the air exposure. E also felt his back and wasn't surprised to find all the previous damage healed.

Stepping off his cot, he looked up through the grate above him and realized the beautiful appearance of the crescent moon. His eyes were mesmerized by ethereal white glow that shined into his room.

It's light didn't cover his entire room, but his vision made the rest of the room just as visible. He turned to his left and looked to the direction of the door and saw the light of torches in the hall.

He walked over to it, making sure to avoid the puddle of blood he would have to clean up when he returned. Looking the the left and right from the inside of the cell showed Delrin. The blandly light halls reflected off him.

The weary but docile elven man had been kind to him since his birth and subsequent growing up. Even though he was E's main punisher he held no ill will against the older man.

"Delrin" he called quietly. The man instantly turned to face him. Delrin'a face looked almost pained seeing E, no doubt for the role played in his daily life being a negative one.

"Hello Wolf" he said kindly back as he looked either way down the hall.

"Think you can get me to bathing room?" E continued, his hand on the bars. He listened for others but most were quiet this time of night.

"Sure thing kid and sorry-" Delrin began before E stopped him. The man constantly apologized to him for his job. E understood the man and why he did these things.