Chapter One - New beginnings

Warnings: swearing.

Avery's P.O.V

It was a full house at work today, 'Luke's Café' is very popular which means loads of customers which can be a good thing as I get more work meaning more money but however it's a pretty busy day when the Café gets full.

It seemed as soon as one customer would leave through the door someone else would enter. I was occupied taking orders and bring people their morning coffee to start off their day, I grab my notepad out of my apron as I make my way to two of our most frequent customers who just happen to also be my favourite.

"Hi ladies! What can I get for you today?" I ask with a smile forming on my face. "Hello my dear, I think I will get an earl grey tea" Deborah says closing the drinks menu "sure thing, what about you Mary?" I ask the elderly lady sitting across from Deborah. Mary and Deborah come to Luke's Café every day, since I've been working here for three years I've come to know them very well – they have been best friends for years and still see each other every day.

"I think I will have the same" Mary says with a slight giggle "but dear, is there any sweets or pastry's today? Any on special?" she adds. "Okay" I say writing their orders down "we have muffins, scones, tarts, pie and both of your favourites cinnamon swirls" I say smiling at their excited faces.

"We will take two please dear" Deborah says, "I will be back in just a minute" I say grabbing their menus and going to get their orders. Once I collect the food and drinks, I place them on my tray and head over to the ladies, "here you go and don't worry – it's on the house" I say handing them their food, "oh don't be silly we will pay" Mary says reaching for her purse "no it's fine Luke and I insist" I say knowing well that Luke also has a soft spot for the two of them.

"Well make sure to come back for a large tip then, no arguments" Deborah says, "thank you darling" Mary says. I reply and start head back towards the front of the café when I hear someone say my name, I turn and see Chris my co-worker holding a tray full of dishes in one hand and a coffee on a small plate in the other. "Do you mind taking the coffee to the table at the very front? I can take your tray to the back" he asks, "sure thing" as I grab the coffee out of his hand as he grabs my tray.

"Thanks a million" he says, "not a problem" I reply walking to the table at the front. As I walk to the front I look down and place my note pad and pen in my pocket when suddenly I'm met with a harsh force as I clash into somebody causing the coffee to spills all over the person I walked into.

I'm a bit shocked at first at our collision, as the drink spills over this man, the coffee mug falls to the floor causing the handle to break off at the impact with the ground and the plate breaks in half too. It was an accident of course and a mistake, yet a very stupid mistake that could cost an employee their job – I stared at the black stain on the man's white shirt and grey suit not wanting to make eye contact or see the look on his face.

Occasionally the café gets rude and demanding customers which makes other waiters like myself get treated in a rude manner but I can only imagine the harsh things he would say because of the mistake I caused.

I stood there staring at the mans stained clothing waiting for him to say something as I didn't want to be the first one to speak. I could already tell he was furious at the situation by his chest heaving up and down quickly but as the silence between us continued the tension between us started to build more and more.

Was there anyone who didn't know this man? He is one of the most known people in Leefside, actually make that the most known person. He leads a multi-million-dollar company and is one of the most powerful, respected and feared men which caused me to wonder why he wasn't doing or saying anything.

Suddenly my thoughts were answered as he rips the towel that was tucked into the waistband of my apron on the side of my hip and folds the top half around his hand, then starts to dab the stain lightly. His actions cause me to look up at him as he towered in front of me, even though his is a very powerful and feared man there is no denying how handsome he is – truly beautiful, even more so in person then in photos.

His light blue piercing eyes, chiselled jawline and soft skin. Such a shame a man that holds so much beauty at the same time is known for being a horrible person, as I continue to admire his features I'm caught staring at him as his eyes snap up and make direct contact with mine.

His face held so much anger and annoyance which without a doubt I caused. "I'm so sorry" I say as the words seem to effortlessly slip out, causing him to snap "shush." very bluntly, I stood there in silence not knowing what else to do – after a couple of minutes or what felt like hours I decided to speak up again. "I am truly sorry, I didn't mean to spill coffee all over you – I didn't see you and I wa-" I am interrupted by him saying "Of course you didn't see me or else it wouldn't have happen." In the same blunt tone, as before "for fucks sake" he mumbles in a slightly quieter tone yet still audible.

As he stopped attempting to clean the stain he looked me up and down then back at his shirt, his actions causing me to stare at my shoes and the broken dishes that are in front of our feet. My black runners still look clean as the coffee seemed to already be on him rather than me, I was just trying to help Chris yet I end up spilling a customer's drink on one of the most important CEO's, surprisingly he wasn't yelling at me or calling Luke from the back of the café demanding I get fired.

"Sir, I am very sorry" I speak up again, which came out sounding more like a plea. "I could help – I could wash the stain out for you or pay you the cost of the suit, do something at least" I suggest "I'm so sorry" I say again. Suddenly he lets out a laugh causing me to be more confused than before as I don't understand what's funny, "please, like you could afford this suit – let alone a waitress. This is worth more than all your pay cheques combined so don't suggest something that stupid" he says.

His comments cause me to be speechless, yes this was my fault but how dare he speak like that to me – let alone speak to anyone like that. Instead of speaking back I simply pick up the broken cup and plate very carefully and mumble "well I am sorry" for the last time and proceed to head to the back to explain to Luke what happened, but I'm stopped by a tight grip around my elbow. "What do you think you're doing?" He asks holding direct eye contact "I'm going to the back" I say confused "you think you can cause me all this trouble then walk away like it's no big deal" he replies.

"Look, I don't know what you want from me. I have apologised which you didn't even seem to acknowledge, offered to wash your suit or pay for it which caused you to insult not only myself but my financial status which you know nothing about. There isn't much else I can do." I say without even thinking, I see his jaw clench and his eyes narrow slightly, "don't speak to me like that again."

He says, "I'm sorry for my actions and for my tone, my boss Luke is in the back if you want to take this further – tell him Avery spilt coffee on you" I say again just wanting to move on already, it's just coffee "or I could report it myself if you're too busy or in a rush" I add. "Well, this is your problem – you made your bed now lay in it" he replies letting go of my arm, "don't let it happen again, this won't be the last I see you - get used to it" he says, I almost feel as that was more of a threat than an explanation.

I turn and watch as he walks out of the café into the street and leaves just like that, "don't stress my dear, it was an accident" Mary says from her table "well that proves money can't buy manners" Deborah adds causing us three to giggle and lighten up the situation.