Chapter fourteen - That night

Warnings: none.

Avery's P.O.V

It's now been a week and a half since I quit at Hiddleston Towers. I now work full time at Luke's Café – thankfully Luke was so understanding and kindly let me work full time again, the night I quit I came home and burst into tears when I started to tell Ellie about what happened at work that night. Of course, as soon as I told her what Tom said she was furious but now I get to work at Luke's and see Deborah and Mary for a longer time which made me happy. I told Deborah and Mary briefly about what happened – making sure to leave the details of my sex life out of the conversation, they cheered me up by giving be a long cuddle on my first day back working full time at Luke's and they kindly baked me cookies that they gave to me the next day.

It's now Friday night and there are only three customers left in the café. Luke comes out from the back and starts to grab some supplies to put away "how's the wife and kids?" I ask as I wash the tea cups "they're good, the girls planned to have a movie night tonight" Luke says with a small laugh "well why are you still here then silly!" I say. "Would you mind closing up tonight?" Luke asks laughing at my reaction "I don't mind" I say "okay here are the keys and you know where everything is" he says "go have fun and tell them I said hi" I say as Luke grabs his jacket "sure will, thank you Avery" he says then leaves out the front door.

After thirty minutes or so, the last customers have left and I am finishing up washing all the dishes that were used today. As I am about to finish I hear the bell ring from behind me signalling that someone has walked in "sorry we're closed" I say turning around but I am greeted by Tom standing in front of the door. I just say "we're closed." again and turn back around "Avery, can we talk?" he asks followed by the sound of his footsteps followed by the sound of a stool being pulled out. I turn back around and see him sitting on the stool behind the bench "Talk about what? How you accused me of sleeping with you just so I could slack off at work" I say with my back faced towards him as I put the cups back on the shelf "I didn't mean what I said" he explains "you still said it." I say turning to face him and resting my hands against the bench as I stand in front of him.

"But I didn't mean it" Tom says, "did it even mean anything to you?" I ask. "What?" Tom asks confused "the night we had at your place, did it mean anything to you? Anything at all?" I ask again "yes it did" he says without hesitation, "well you sure have a funny way of showing it" I say "especially when you bring someone else to the work dinner" I add. "Please just let me explain my reasoning" he asks with a sad look across his face "fine." I say, "I hadn't heard from you in a week since we slept together and I was afraid that you might have regretted what we did or thought it was a mistake, so I took an old friend to the dinner because I thought that was better than showing up alone" he explains "well you know you could've talked to me too, it's not only my job to keep in contact" I reply.

"I know, I blame myself for that and take full responsibility" he explains "that doesn't explain why you were so rude towards me in the meeting and in your office, you really hurt my feelings with what you said Tom." I reply. "By then we hadn't spoken for what? three weeks, I was annoyed and angry at myself for how things planned, trust me I didn't want to just make you think it was a one night stand – I couldn't do that to you" Tom explains "I know it wasn't fair or the right thing to do, especially at work but you were right about your ideas compared to Michael and your work was great, more than great – amazing" Tom adds.

"I don't know how to show you how truly sorry I am for how I've treated you and for what I said, and when I said that comment about you when we were in my office – it was just out of anger which isn't an excuse but I don't think of you like that and I know you wouldn't sleep around like that" Tom says. As Tom explains why he acted the way he did and apologises I sort of smile as he compliments me "well Tom, I forgive you" I say "really?" Tom says, his eyes lighting up. I nod in response "okay let's go" he says holding out his hand "what?" I ask "let's go have a movie night at my place, we can buy ice-cream on the way" Tom says "okay, I just have to lock up" I say as I walk to get the keys with a smile on my face.

-

After one tub of ice-cream and four movies later, our fifth movie ends as the title credits roll on the screen. I'm currently cuddled up next to Tom on his couch, "did you enjoy that movie?" he asks turning his head to face me "I did, how about you?" I ask with a smile looking up at him "I did but I enjoyed spending the night with you more" he says placing a soft kiss against my forehead "so did I" I reply.

"Oh my gosh it's already 12:30am" I say as I see the clock on the wall, "I better head off" I say sitting up so I was no longer leaning on his chest. "Our you could stay the night?" Tom says "I don't want to intrude" I say feeling bad because it wasn't like we planned to see each other, "don't be silly" he says "still..." I say. Tom then grabs my waist and pulls me over his lap so that I am straddling him "I want you to stay" he says kissing my cheek softly "are you sure?" I ask making sure "certain" he says.

He then places his hand gently on my cheek as his other hand rests on my thigh. "May I kiss you again?" he asks quietly "yes" I whisper, we both lean in as his soft pink lips press gently against mine we continue to kiss for a couple of minutes "I've missed this" he says a bit out of breath as we pull away "so have I" I say with a small smile.

Author's note: Hope you all enjoyed the previous chapters also make sure to comment, like and share (its much appreciated!) enjoy!