Chapter 6: Are We Still Friends?

riley
chapter 6: are we still friends?

My eyes fluttered open, my vision blurry. I sat up, alarm washing over me. I rubbed out the tiredness from my eyes and looked around to see where I was. Oh, just my room. But how did I get here? I was at school, right? Then, a slight pounding pain went from left to right in my head. I grabbed my head and groaned.

"What happened.." I muttered to myself, throwing my legs over the edge of my mattress and bringing my feet to the ground. I walked over to my mirror and looked at myself for a few seconds. Hm, maybe mom changed me into some comfy clothes. I thought to myself, as I looked at my tank top. I stumbled out of my room and downstairs to the living room, where I found my mom talking on the phone with someone. It seemed important, so I decided to not interrupt her. I stumbled past her to the bathroom, opening the medicine cabinet and grabbing an Advil for my headache. I walked out of the bathroom with it in my hand and to the fridge to grab my water bottle. Popping the pill in my mouth, I heard footsteps behind me. I turned around as I sipped some water.

"Hm?" I mumbled as I closed the water bottle.

"So.. You and your friends got in a fight." Mom said, disappointment dripping from her voice. I raised my eyebrows sarcastically like I didn't know.

"Mhm." I said as I gulped down the pill. "It was Paulina and Zoe, I wasn't involved in it."

"So how did you end up getting hurt?" Mom asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I tried to stop them." I replied, closing the fridge, not turning around and still facing mom.

"Honey," Mom said, crossing her arms over her chest. "You could've tried to talk it out." I scoffed and rolled my eyes. She sure didn't know the whole story, and I sure wasn't telling her.

"They were literally getting psychical." I said, crossing my arms over my chest in a mocking manner.

"Could've still tried to talk it out." Mom said nonchalantly. I rolled my eyes and pushed passed her back upstairs to my room. "Hey!"

"Listen, I just woke up from being knocked out from my best friends punching me when I tried to stop them from fighting. Do you think you should be bothering me?" I snapped, turning around to face her. My moms eyes widened and she threw her hands up just a bit in surrender.

"Ok, ok. You should get some rest." My mom said. I turned back around and walked up the stairs to my room to find the answer to the big question: are we still friends?

* * *

"Hello?"

"Uh.. Hey Zo', still in school?" I said, trying to make a conversation.

"Nope, what's up?" Zoe replied like she totally didn't know what's up.

"You know.." I said awkwardly. I felt so uncomfortable. The way I was talking with Zoe was no were near how I talked with her when I was comfortable. Would that fight be a drift in our friendship? I really hoped not.

"I'm really sorry, it's just, my temper-"

"It's ok, but I have a question, are we still friends?" I asked sheepishly. Zoe went quiet for a second. Fear rushed over me. I was scared, lemme be honest. Zoe was my best friend, and I didn't know what I would do without her.

"Zoe?" I said, my voice a bit shaky.

"Yea."

"Yea what?"

"We're still friends! Hah, got youuuuuuuu!" Zoe exclaimed, making my ear explode. I pulled the phone away from my ear and giggled, falling back into my bed.

"Cmon, you scared me!" I grumbled. "You're my only friend, Zo'."

"Mhmmmmm."

"What?" I asked, oblivious to what she meant.

"What about Paulina?" Zoe asked, making a silence hang in between us.

"Uh.. Yea but.."

"You don't want her as a friend anymore, I can feel it."

"What do you mean? No, she's my friend." I said, my words sounding like I shoveled them out of my mouth forcefully. Did I still want Paulina as a friend?

"Well, OK. But lemme tell you something, I don't want her around us anymore."

"What!?" I exclaimed, in shock. Me, Zoe and Paulina had been best friends since we were seven, we had been through thick and thin together. But now, in this past week all they've been doing is bickering, and today they even took it to fighting.

"Zoe, why have you and Paulina just been arguing all week!? What's up between you two?" I finally asked after the question has been hogging my mind. Once again, Zoe went silent. "Tell me, just tell me."

"Do you wanna really wanna know?" Zoe asked, her voice laced with a tinge of sadness.

"Yes! I wanna know why you have been just bickering when you guys are best friends!" I responded, exasperated.

"She slept with Mason."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I'm really into this story and can't even wait myself for Wednesday or Friday to come so I can update. But I have a lil question for y'all, my IRL best friend told me that in order for her to get really attached to her characters in the comics she makes, she does interviews so she can like make them personalities, do y'all think I should do that for the next chapter? (which will probably be uploaded right after this one because I'm just on a roll with these updates) Comment what you think, I would appreciate it!