Chapter 9: Apology Not Accepted

riley
chapter 9: apology not accepted
Riiiiiiiiiing~
Riiiiiiiiiing~
"Sorry, the person you're calling isn't available."

"Fuck!" I yelled, exasperated. I threw my phone in the heap of blankets on my bed and ran my hands through my hair in frustration. I had tried calling Zoe 6 times but she wouldn't answer. Now I really know, I messed up. I flopped down on my bed and covered my face as I felt tears coming. How could I do that to Zoe? She was my best friend. I'm such a terrible person. Ah, there go the tears.

"Riley? D-dinners ready." My mom said from the other side of my door. Like Zoe, I hadn't been responding to anyone, locking myself up in my room, refusing to come out. So, I didn't answer my mom.

"Riley, dear?"

"..." I wondered about responding, as now she had made me irritated.

"Ri-"

"Leave me alone!"

"Ok. But dinner will be on the stove whenever you want. Also the school sent a letter." A envelope glided from under the door to the middle of my floor. I sat up and peered at it, my eyes reading the address and confirming it really was from my school. Shit, I'm probably suspended. I crept off my bed before grabbing it and ripping the envelope, grabbing the letter to see it was a suspension letter, for 3 days.

Finally, silence. Then came footsteps descending down the hallway. I sighed heavily, my breath hitching. I rubbed at my temples slowly, trying to calm myself down. I looked over at my nightstand and saw the receipt Nick gave me, his number messily scribbled on it.

* * *
"Cmon just ring the doorbell, Riley." Nick whispered, nudging me in the side. I glared at him and looked back at the doorbell, my gaze set on it. Why. Why did I let Nick drag me over to Zoe's house to apologize. "Riley you didn't make me walk 4 blo-"

Just to shut him up, I pushed my finger hard against the doorbell once--I wasn't doing it again so better to make her hear me the first time.

"Who is it?" A faint voice that sounded like Zoe's mom came from inside. I remained silent for a moment, my lips beginning to tremble. I kept to my gaze on the door, trying not to become a hot mess. After a few seconds, I felt Nick elbow me in the side again.

"R-Riley."

Footsteps, then the door was opened slightly, showing Zoe's mother. She smiled lightly and opened the door fully.

"Hello Mrs. Wesley.." I said.

"Oh hello dear, who's this you got with you?" Mrs. Wesley asked hastily, looking over at Nick judgmentally.

"Oh, this is Nick, my friend." I replied politely, even though my blood was close to boiling because she was judging him. She really had no right to. I looked over at Nick and smiled, he smiled back at me and to Mrs. Wesley. Thing is, when he looked at me it was genuine, with Mrs. Wesley it all looked like a mask. I wanted to snicker.

"Well, may I come in? I-I would like to talk to Zoe." I quickly said.

"Oh yes, I believe she would love to talk to you, she's been cooped up in her room all day. Perhaps a bad day at school." Mrs. Wesley said before gesturing inside. I smiled and stepped inside, turning and waiting for Nick.

"So um.."

"Oh yes, I'll get her." Mrs. Wesley said, turning and about to walk in the direction of Zoe's room.

"No!" I exclaimed, stopping her. "I.. I want to talk to her alone in her room. With Nick, though."

"Oh, yes that's alright." Mrs. Wesley said, gesturing for us to follow her as she walked to Zoe's room. Once at her locked door, she knocked lightly once, as if she was afraid a monster would growl at her if she knocked normally. "Zoe, Riley-"

"Leave me alone. I don't wanna see Riley." Came Zoe's voice from behind the door. I tried to keep my composure but inside I was crumbling. Mrs. Wesley looked over at me, slightly suspicious looking.

"What has her like this?"

"I-um, I don't know." I said, my sentence sounding like a jumble of words fused to be one word.

"Hm. Zoe, please." Mrs. Wesley softly pleaded. Zoe went silent and I guess Mrs. Wesley gave up. She let out a breathy sigh and looked at me, as if she was saying sorry and walked away. I was left a bit taken away. I looked at Nick in confusion.

"Let's just give her time." Nick said, grabbing one of my hands and squeezing it comfortingly. But I didn't really feel comforted. I felt.. A lot at once. Sad. Angry. Frustrated. Confused. Guilty. Embarrassed. All because of a stupid mistake that was my fault-not even partly Zoe's.

"Give her time?"

"Ye-"

"I am genuinely sorry! And I came here to apologize and she doesn't wanna accept it, do you know what it feels like to have your best friend do that? I really fucked up. I don't wanna wait! I want to make this right!" I exclaimed, tears at the edge of my eyes.

"Riley.. I-I'm so sorry, it's not you're fault, you panicked, but hey, I'm sure you and Zoe will get over this and be even better friends. Trust me." Nick said, pulling me in a hug and resting his chin on the top of my head. I pulled myself even closer to him which I thought wasn't possible and cried against his shirt, feeling safe in his arms. "It's ok. It's gonna be ok." Nick whispered in my ear, running his fingers through my hair carelessly.

But thing is, was it really?