Chapter Three

In my haste to get back to the palace, I took streets I normally wouldn't have gone near. So it was my own fault when I found myself facing two big, burly men, who looked like they would have fit in very well at the lowest level of a dungeon...and not necessarily as prisoners either.

“Where are you off to, Mademoiselle?” one of them asked, stepping towards me. “None of your business,” I said automatically. My hand tightened on the handle of my basket. I glanced around quickly, searching for something I could use to defend myself. I spotted exactly what I needed leaning against the wall. “Now let me pass!”

“When a pretty girl like yourself crosses into our territory, it is our business,” the second man said, his eyes glinting as he looked me over. 

“Jean, remember your manners,” the first man admonished. He reached out and ran a finger along my cheek. I jerked away from his touch and he chuckled. “This is no dairy maid. A well dressed young lady such as this must surely come from a noble family.”

“Leave me alone!” I hissed. Slowly, I shifted how I was gripping my basket.

“See?” the man said, ignoring me. “A dairy maid would be a little more appreciative of two gentlemen taking an interest in her. Now, just what can we do with a noble girl like this?”

“I can think of a few things,” Jean responded. He grabbed my wrist.

Several horses went racing by. I caught sight of some familiar faces and the black and red tunics of the Cardinal's guards. Jean and his friend stepped aside, pulling me closer to the wall as they did. They called out insults at the men. As soon as the last horse had vanished, the two men faced me once more.

I flung my basket in their face, momentarily blocking their vision. Jean released my wrist, recoiling in surprise. The fingers of my right hand grasped the wooden handle and I brought the shovel up. Using both hands to hold on, I swung it as hard as I could. There was a dull thud as the metal connected with Jean's head. His eyes rolled back in his head as he fell to the ground.

“You little-!” the other man started to hiss. The shovel colliding with his head, shutting him up before he could finish. I'm sure whatever it was would not have been very pleasant.

Breathing out, I dropped the shovel next to the men. I picked up my basket and looked sadly at the scattered blooms. I shook my head and hurried on. Jussac was on his way to make his report. I had to do the same.

~*~

My heart was beating fast as I made my way through the palace. I'd narrowly avoided coming face to face with Rochefort just after going through the gate. Fortunately, I spotted him first and hurried to the side entrance. I doubt he'd actually seen me at Cooper's Yard, but he was still an unpleasant man. 

“Constance, you look like you've run around the palace!” Benita exclaimed as I entered the queen's chambers. 

“Where is Her Majesty?” I asked, trying to catch my breath.

“Right here,” Anne said, coming from her vault. “What's happened, Constance?”

I bobbed a quick curtsey. “Your Majesty, there was a fight in Cooper's Yard,” I explained, speaking so fast the words seemed to run together. “There was a duel. And the Cardinal's guards were there!”

Anne raised an eyebrow, and walked to her dressing table. “How about you tell me a little slower than that,” she advised. 

Taking a deep breath, I walked to the table. I realized then that I still had my basket and I set it on the ground. “I'm sorry, Your Majesty,” I said, much slower this time. “I was out walking, and I ended up at Cooper's Yard at one of the flower carts. The next thing I know the Cardinal's guards were everywhere!”