Chapter Fifteen

It seemed like forever passed before Jussac returned, looking furious and a little afraid. I was still seated on Buttercup, having spent my time trying to work out if there was a chance of escaping. I studied the man's face and wondered who he feared more, Richelieu or Rochfort.

“We are returning to Paris,” Jussac informed the guards. He barely glanced at me. “Please ensure that the prisoner's hands are tied and that she does not escape. The cardinal will be very interested in speaking with her.”

“And I with him,” I said proudly. Jussac looked at me sharply as one of the guards bound my hands together. I hissed as the ropes bit into my wrists. “May I at least be allowed my hat back?”

Jussac glanced down at the item that was still in the dirt. I had tried in vain to convince the guards to return it to me, as I knew D'Artagnan would want it returned once this was all over. Because he was going to return triumphant and he would need his hat.

Grudgingly, Jussac nodded to one of his men and the hat was returned to me. I managed to get it in place on my head, even though my bound hands made it difficult. Jussac took Buttercup's reins and started forward. Caught off balance, I grabbed for the pommel and held on.

It was an uncomfortable ride. Jussac was determined to return to Paris as fast as he could, and stopped only to change horses. I regretted having to leave Buttercup behind, but remembered the town so that once it was all over, D'Artagnan would come fetch her. I wasn't even allowed a moment to see that the faithful horse was looked after.

We continued on through the night. I was becoming increasingly sore and weary. Never had I spent so much time in a saddle and I did not look forward to the times when I had to dismount.

The only thing that made the whole thing bearable was that the guards seemed to be having the same problem.

~*~

There was no one in sight as we approached the palace but as we were coming in a way those in court seldom used, I wasn't very surprised. Still, I tried to look out for anyone who would carry a message for me and let the queen know that I had returned. It was a sunny day, and I guessed that the queen and the rest of the ladies in waiting were in the garden.

Jussac barked out an order to a guard, who went running to fetch Rochefort. The one eyed man came to meet us in a hallway within minutes. I glared at him defiantly and he stared back for a moment. “This isn't the boy or the musketeers,” he said, turning his attention to Jussac.

“The musketeers escaped,” Jussac admitted.

“Bring her,” Rochefort snapped out, spinning on his heel. He strode back the way he'd come.

I almost broke my silence as Jussac pushed me through the hallways. No servants were in sight, and there was no way I could break free of the grip that was on my arm. I fumed inwardly, hating to be so close to protection but being unable of reaching it.

In a small ante chamber that I only faguely recognized, Jussac waited, keeping his hand tight on my arm. I was no expert on the castle, even though I had been there for a year, but I believed we were right next to the rooms the cardinal used for his work. I tried to keep my breathing calm and steady as I contemplated the meeting to come.

And then I heard Richelieu's voice. “The wonderful thing about fighting an imaginary opponent, Captain Rochefort, is that he's always greatly skilled yet easily defeated.” There was a slight pause, and then he continued, “The pride of victory without the risk of lose. I trust you didn't come here to impress me with your swordsmanship.”

He had started off sounding amused and ended almost bored. I wasn't sure how his mood would affect me.

“No, Your Eminence,” Rochefort responded. “I have some good news.”