Chapter Twelve

“You were followed,” Aramis accused, moving towards the window where Athos had also gone to look out.

“It's Rochefort,” Athos informed us all.

This was my fault. “I'm so sorry,” I said. “I knew I was being followed earlier, but I thought I'd lost them.”

“Athos, Porthos, Aramis, and D'Artagnan,” Rochefort called up. “Surrender your weapons and no harm will come to you.”

“He's a liar,” Porthos condemned. “Athos, what's the plan?”

Everyone turned to the dark haired man. “Planchet, find some way of getting their attention,” Athos ordered, spinning away from the window. “Once they've followed us, pack up everything we will need and join us on the road to Calais. Let's go.”

D'Artagnan grabbed my hand. “Come on,” he said, pulling me as he followed after the three former musketeers. “You didn't bring a horse, did you?”

“No. It didn't seem smart to draw that much attention to myself,” I answered as we heard down to where the stables were. I stayed back as the four quickly saddled. D'Artagnan was slightly slower than the other three, but I supposed the others were used to saddling quickly.

“At least she shows some sense.”

The mutter came from Athos. “What did you say?” I demanded.

From the street came the shout, “I will count to five and then we will burn you out.”

Looking alarmed, D'Artagnan pushed me over to his mount. “Let's get out of here before we're caught,” he said. He pulled himself up into the saddle and held his hand down to me. I put my hand in his and jumped. Once I was settled behind him, I wrapped my arms around his waist.

“Let's go,” Athos said as Planchet's laugh echoed through to us followed by Jussac's curse. I wondered what the servant had done, but decided I probably didn’t really want to know.

Holding on tight, I ducked my head as we raced out into the street. Gunshots rang out, and shouts followed us down the street. I dared to glance back once, and was pleased to see Rochefort standing in the middle of the street. No one was following us.

We had a chance of succeeding! Hope flared again

~*~

We had ridden quite a ways from the city when Athos led the way away from the main road and stopped at a shady looking inn. “Why are we stopping?” I asked in confusion as the three former musketeers dismounted. I realized D'Artagnan was waiting on me, and slid to the ground. “Should we not take advantage of our head start?”

“And fall into trouble because we can't see where we're going or what is coming up ahead of us?” Athos responded sharply. “Trust us, mademoiselle. We know what we're doing.”

“We'll make much better time in the morning. We may as well enjoy the drink this place has to offer,” Porthos said, tossing the reins of his horse to a young boy who came forward. “Besides, as useless as he is, we have to wait on Planchet. Who knows when he'll get here.”

In all the excitement, I had forgotten the awkward lackey. Athos grabbed D'Artagnan's arm and pulled him a few feet away. Aramis and Porthos headed for the door of the tavern. I glanced at D'Artagnan out of the corner of my eye in time to see him jerk away from Athos.

Shrugging, the older man walked away to the tavern, leaving me standing alone with D'Artagnan. “Do you want to go in or...?” D'Artagnan's voice trailed off uncertainly. “You probably want to get some rest.”

I sent a skeptical look towards the noise coming from the inn. For being the middle of the night, it sounded as though there was fifty or men in there. “I don't think I could even if I wanted to,” I answered, turning my gaze to D'Artagnan. “Maybe a walk first?”