Chapter Six

It didn't take long for me to tire of hearing the others go on about the musketeers. Excusing myself, I went for a walk. As I was passing one of the galleries, I nearly collided with Milady de Winter who looked very, very pleased with herself. Her smile widened as she looked at me.

“Mademoiselle Constance,” she said. “How was the meeting?”

“Very well, Milady,” I answered, trying in vain to peer past her into the gallery. Who had she been talking to that she looked so...satisfied with herself? “It was very interesting to say the least.”

“So, I have heard,” Milady said, glancing over her shoulder. “Good day, Mademoiselle. Oh, Captain Rochefort. Good day.”

Startled, I turned to find the captain of the cardinal’s guards standing a few feet away from me, staring at me with a frown. “Do try not to frighten her too much, Rochefort. The queen would miss her loyal companion,” Milady said, her tone amused. She walked away, leaving me to face the man alone.

“Mademoiselle,” Rochefort said, still frowning at me. “Have we met?”

“I'm one of the queen's ladies in waiting,” I replied carefully. “You may have seen me around the palace.”

The man shook his head. “It's not that,” he said. “I've seen you some where else.”

“Rochefort!” Cardinal Richelieu called out from the gallery. “If I might have a moment of your time?”
Rochefort bowed, ever so slightly towards me. “Perhaps it will come to me in time, Mademoiselle,” he said.

I sincerely hoped not. “Good day, Captain Rochefort,” I responded, hurrying on. When I reached the end of the hallway, I glanced over my shoulder. He was still staring at me. It was another sharp call from the cardinal that finally made him turn away. I breathed a sigh of relief as I turned the corner.

“Men..what would we do without them?”

Yet again, Milady de Winter startled me. She stood a few feet down this hallway, clearly waiting for me. “They are amusing and all,” she continued, smiling at me kindly, “Take Captain Rochefort, for example. He desires to have prestige and honor, and so he does whatever the cardinal wishes of him.”

“I'm afraid I don't understand what you're talking about,” I said. Milady was a mystery, and I honestly could not figure out what had brought on this unexpected solicitude.

She smiled again. “Of course, you have your mind on a young Gascon, don't you?” she asked.

How in the world had she heard that? “Don't look so surprised,” Milady continued. “Things travel in a palace, and I simply listen. Don't worry, Mademoiselle Constance. I don't think Rochefort will care whether you witnessed the fight. He has more pressing matters on his mind.”

“Why are you offering me advice, Milady de Winter?” I asked, staring at her.

“I would hate to see a sweet girl like you getting mixed up in intrigues that will only lead you to trouble,” Milady answered, looking unusually serious. “You are not prepared to handle such things.”

I lifted my chin. “You do not know me, Milady,” I said. I wasn't even sorry for my cold tone of voice. “You do not know what I am capable of.”

As soon as I spoke, Milady became all smiles and charm. “Well, do not say I didn't warn you,” she responded. “Buckingham will be here tomorrow. You may not like the consequences.”

“What consequences?” I demanded.

“I must catch up to Rochefort if I can,” Milady said, walking past me. Had she been my sister, I would have grabbed her and forced her to tell me what she meant. As it was, she was connected to an ambassador and it would lead to an international incident if I so much as laid a finger on her. “Enjoy the rest of your day, Mademoiselle.”

How she expected me to enjoy what was left of the day, I had no idea. There was not a pleasant thought to be had. Not even remembering D'Artagnan smiling at...No! I was not going to let that thought finish itself! Determined, I walked towards the garden. Peace and quiet. That's what I needed. The palace had gotten too entangled with its own affairs for anyone's good.