Chapter Twenty One

The musicians began playing and the royal couple took their places for the dance. I waited anxiously to see Cardinal Richelieu's reaction. I was under the protection of the queen once again, but D'Artagnan...

“Well played,” Richelieu complimented. Well, that was not what I was expecting. I heard Anne laugh on the dance floor. Richelieu extended his hand. “I could use men like you.”

No! He cannot steal the king's most loyal men! But I had to admit, the Cardinal was the one with the power. To take his side would be a stroke of political luck that anyone would find hard to resist.

The four exchanged slight glances. Aramis moved forward first and began to bow down. He took the Cardinal's hand and then hesitated. He straightened up, pulling his hand back. “Ah, I already have a job,” he said, moving back.

What job was that? I'd have to ask D'Artagnan.

“I'm a drunk,” Athos proclaimed quickly.

Well, that I could believe, though he'd been very sober the last time I'd seen him.

“I'm independently wealthy,” Porthos put in. The looks his two friends gave him were of patience and amusement.

That left just... “Thanks, but no,” D'Artagnan answered.

Clearly, the cardinal was not as pleased by those responses as I was. “The day will come when you wish you will have said yes,” he warned.

“Maybe,” D'Artagnan told him, his voice full of confidence. The others looked at him. “But not today.”

My grin widened with pride. “Maybe not today,” Richelieu repeated in annoyance. He snatched back the signed orders Louis had handed back to Athos. He stalked back towards the palace. I lowered my head as he went past me, but he didn't even give me a second glance.

I wasn't sure whether to be relieved that he didn't see me as a threat, or annoyed that he didn't see me as an asset. Before I could puzzle it out, D'Artagnan walked over to me. “Enjoying the show?” he asked.

We'd come full circle. This time as he said the words, he sounded mature ad confident in a very attractive way. “Are you always this cocky?” I responded with a smile.

His smile in return was full of mischief. “Only on Tuesdays, and whenever beautiful women are involved,” he said.

“So, you think I'm beautiful?” I asked coyly.

He considered it for a moment and then shrugged his shoulders slightly. “Actually, its Tuesday.”

A giggle rose in my throat. Clever, clever D'Artagnan. He reached his hand up to my cheek and kissed me. Yes. Kissing D'Artagnan was very nice. I could definitely get used to it.

“So now what?” I had to ask when D'Artagnan pulled back.

He glanced over to where his friends had been standing, but they were already on their way away from the palace. “I don't know,” he admitted. I noticed that the airship seemed to have caught fire. “I've only been here for a week, and I haven’t been in Paris for most of that time.”

“Well, I think we have time,” I told him, entwining my fingers with his. “You know where I am.”

He grinned at me. “I think this calls for a celebration,” he said, pulling on my arm. “Lets get out of here.”

I was more than willing to go anywhere with him, and so I walked with him after his three friends. I heard a strange sound, and glanced over my shoulder. There was Planchet, his arms loaded with food, shadowing us. “So, what now?” Aramis asked, copying my words and getting my attention.

“We drink,” Athos responded, which wasn't a surprise to me.

“And then what?” Porthos wanted to know.

“Wherever they send us. Whatever France needs,” Athos said firmly.

Beside me, D'Artagnan laughed. “I thought you didn't believe in that stuff anymore,” Aramis accused.

They came to a stop just outside the gates. “I believe in us,” Athos responded, sounding more sincere than I'd ever heard him. He glanced between his two friends. “Till the day I stop believing in that, there are still things in this world worth fighting and dying for.”

He drew his sword and held it out. Aramis and Porthos did the same. Letting go of my hand, D'Artagnan hurried to take his place with them, setting his blade onto of theirs. “All for one!” Athos proclaimed.

“And one for all!” they responded together.

My heart felt like it was going to burst with pride. “You know sirs,” Planchet said cheerfully, going past me as they lowered their swords. “I know you can be mean, tough, foul tempered bastards, but sometimes I get the feeling deep down you're all-.”

“Oh, shut up, Planchet!” they all interupted.

Somethings would never change. Chuckling in amusement, I walked around him to catch up with D'Artagnan. “You are going to see a physician,” I told D'Artagnan.

“No, no, I'm fine,” D'Artagnan insisted.

“No, you're not, boy,” Athos said, taking my side. He grabbed a hold of D'Artagnan's shoulder and began to propel him down the street. “Constance is right. You need a physician. Let's go.”

D'Artagnan began to protest. Athos simply ignored him. I laughed as I watched them. I had many questions for them. Such as how they had untangled the ships. Had Milady been the spy? What had happened in London? But those questions could wait.

It was certain my life was never going to be the same now that they had come into my life. And I wouldn't have it any other way!

~*~

        That night, I sat down at my desk and drew out a sheet of paper. I stared at the candle that was casting its light on my ink and quill, considering what to say. I had put it off far too long. Taking a deep breath, I lifted the quill, dipped it in the ink, and set the tip to the paper.

Dear Father and Mother,

I have many extraordinary things to tell you. First of all, I've met a very charming young man. He is the king's personal friend, and his name is D'Artagnan...