Chapter Fourteen

Calais was nothing like what I expected. It was so much smaller than Paris. Still, it was the furthest I had ever been from home, and I couldn't resist glancing around curiously. We had reached it in good time, I thought, having kept from the main roads and pushed our mounts hard.

With no hesitation, Athos led the way to the docks. Of course he had probably been here many times, going out on missions for king and country. He would know the best way to get across to England.

“Get down!” Aramis suddenly called out.

We all reacted on instinct, I think, ducking down. Quickly, I slid off my mount. We had almost reached the docks, I was sure. “What is it?” D'Artagnan asked before I could.

“I saw one of the cardinal's guards,” Aramis answered. He moved forward to get a closer look. Planchet unloaded all of the supplies to be ready.

How could the guards have gotten ahead of us so quickly? I could only assume they had practically killed their mounts and that only made my dislike of them grow almost to a hatred I did not know I was capable of. To work for such a man as the Cardinal, and to harm a living creature in his service, it was terrible.

Aramis returned then. “Jussac, and a lot of help,” he reported, looking very serious. “There's no way past.”

“How the hell did he get here so fast?” Porthos demanded grimly.

I refused to let panic set in as I looked over to where the guards were swarming the area. Something needed to be done to get them away from here. “We need a distraction,” Athos said, voicing my own thoughts.

“I'll go,” Aramis volunteered.

“I'll go,” Porthos said a split second later.

Neither of them could go! They needed everyone in London! “I could go!” Planchet offered. I couldn't help a smile as the other men turned towards the servant, incredulity in their eyes. Planchet squirmed and looked down at the ground. “Probably not.”

“Wrong,” I spoke up, hardly even aware of the plan that was quickly forming in my head. I faced them as they looked at me. “Wrong on all counts. You'll need every sword where you are going. I can't help you there, but I can help. Right here. Right now.”

Concern sprang into D'Artagnan's eyes and he stepped towards me. “If they catch you,” he began to warn me.

“They won't,” I interrupted, trying to convince not only him but myself as well. But I knew very well they probably would catch me. My only hope was to get a message to the queen before it happened.

“If they catch you,” he started over firmly.

“I am the queen's lady in waiting,” I told him, focusing on him, seeing the others turn away. I had to make him see things from my point of view. “You, on the other hand, are a wanted fugitive. And about to steal from the most powerful man in England. Which one of us should be worried?”

Resignation appeared on his face as he sighed. “Go,” I told him, hoping to reassure him. “Go so that you may come back.”

I hoped he could hear what I was saying. If he came back to me from this mission, nothing would come between us. Understanding dawned in his eyes and he put his hand on my cheek. He leaned forward and kissed me. When he pulled away, he started to grin his cocky grin and I smiled back.

“Now give me that hat,” I said, reaching for the item.

He nodded. As I took D'Artagnan's black gloves and slipped them onto my hands, the former musketeers surrounded me to offer their advice. “Ride as fast as you can, Constance,” Aramis said, using my name for the first time. “Once they see you, that's the only thing that will keep you safe.”