Chapter Eight

The next morning I was no closer to an answer to my many problems. I must have been acting odd because I caught Anne watching me. I put a smile on my face and threw myself into acting as though this was any other day of teasing and gossiping with the other ladies.

We went out for a walk in the gardens that afternoon. Anne was doing her best to avoid Lord Buckingham and all connected to him without being overly obvious about the avoiding. Dinner had been a nightmare the evening before, and I could only hope that the Englishman would leave soon.

“Did you see Madame du Loraine's gown?” Nicolette asked, giggling in amusement. “I don't see how anyone can think that shade a good color to be worn!”

The normal petty gossip that would have driven me mad on any other day, was a relief to listen to as an escape from the intrigue that had been happening in the palace. We were all chatting and giggling like we were twelve. Anne was laughing at us, amused by our antics. I should have known it wouldn't last.

"Constance! Constance! Hey, hi! Excuse me."

I flinched as the other ladies in waiting began giggling even more. I turned to find  D'Artagnan only a few steps away, grinning with excitement. Well, this was as good a time to end this as any. "Pardon, Your Majesty," I said to Anne, who paused. "This will only take a moment."

She looked beyond me and saw the Gascon. She smiled that wise smile of hers and nodded. I hastened over to D'Artagnan, demanding, "What are you doing here?"

“His Majesty wants a word with me,” the boy told me, grinning with pride. “Imagine that!”

“Yes. Lovely. Now if you'll excuse me,” I said dismissively. I hoped he would take the hint. I didn't want to have to be cruel. I turned to go back. Why hadn't the group kept going? The last thing I wanted was so many witnesses to me snubbing D'Artagnan!

D'Artagnan reached out as though to stop me, but he didn't actually touch me. I swiftly stamped down disappointment. "I- I was thinking," he said. "After I'm finished with His Majesty, maybe we could talk."

When I glanced over, the older ladies looked appalled while the younger girls were trying to stifle giggles. I took a deep breath. My mother's letter on my mind, I came to that split second decision that would either be the best thing for me...or the worst. "I have plans," I told him dismissively. Take the hint, I begged silently.

But apparently I wasn't being obvious enough. "Well, how about tomorrow?" he persisted.

"I have a lot of plans!" I told him, cringing as I heard the other women's giggling become louder. D'Artagnan tried to continue protesting, but I cut him off, "Look, D'Artagnan, you may have a new suit of clothes and the King's favor, but you still act like a clumsy country boy. Now excuse me."

I turned away and returned to the queen. "That was a little harsh," Dolores commented. "He's so handsome, Constance!"

It took great effort on my part, but I resisted the urge to look back. "Was that necessary?" Anne asked softly as we walked on.

"Yes, Your Majesty, I believe is was," I answered, my tone just as quiet as hers. "I have my duty to you and then to my family. A country Gascon boy will only be a distraction."

"Oh, Constance " Anne said, her tone filled with pity. "I wish that all my ladies in waiting may find the love of a good man."

"Then, there is still hope for me for D'Artagnan is still a boy." I prayed this conversation would end for my heart was going to break. I was sure of it.

That made Anne laughed. "And you are still a girl," she told me. "Don't fight yourself too much, Constance. You may find you regret it. Now, I am ready for tea."